Cling film

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Cling film

Post by fitz »

I’m pretty sure this has been raised previously but I couldn’t find anything recent. When I’ve completed a job I will wrap the finished frames in mini wrap cling film. This allows the customer to see the finished product. I have had a few customers raising concerns about the use of plastic and suggesting that I should find an alternative. I know there are cardboard/foam corners that protect the finished frames but often these are also wrapped in cling film to keep them in place. Is there an alternative and how do you present your finished work?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Cling film

Post by Not your average framer »

You are in pretty good company, fromwhat I hear plenty ofother framers are doing this as well. I can't see that it necessarily matters all that much. I can't point to any special reason for this, but I mostly use paper bags, or kraft browm paper on a huge roll. If I am worried about protectione the cormers, I usually fold up a pad of disposable kitchen towel roll to wrap around each corner. I don't tend to spend very much on packaging. A lot of the time I have some fold up cardboard corners which I get from Simons, but I don't always remember to re-order these in time for whem they run out.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Cling film

Post by Not your average framer »

I have very limited space to store packaging materials, so I need to use packaging materials which don't take up much space, so I get by with handy wrap on 4 inch rolls, brown wrapping paper one a roll, paper bags and cardboard prective corners. It's very easy to stretch the handy wrap from corner to corner and to place a folded pad of desposable kitchen towel roll under the handy wrap at each corner. If it needs it I can then put an outer wrapping of brown paper over everything else as a final layer of packing. Job done!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer