Most cost effective filler for seamless handfinished corner joints.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Most cost effective filler for seamless handfinished corner joints.

Post by Not your average framer »

There are several flat bare wood moulding which I regularly cut and join. I cut them front face down on my Morso and this generally produces the best resuit, but I still need to flatten the slight burr cause by cutting them on a guillotine using by bench top belt sander and I also need to fill the vary slight gap which often occurs when joining these that mouldings, so I also fill these very slight gaps and sand them flat and smooth on the bench top belt sander. It takes about 3 seconds per corner, so not much.

A lot of the big deal about handfinished is the complete absence of any sign of the corner joints that part of why customers for handfinished frames will pay the extra for these frames. I usually fill any such gaps with PVA glue a sand down the presentation faces and the saw dust from the sanding gets stuck in the PVA and fills the corners flat. After the PVA has set it is sometimes necessary to repeat the process. I am thinking that I would prefer a water based sandable filler, so that I don't need to spend as much time doing this.

Does any one use anything which they would like recommend?
Thank,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Re: Most cost effective filler for seemless handfinished corner joints.

Post by JonathanB »

No Nonsense fine surface filler from Screwfix works really well. Sands really easily and provides an excellent surface for painting. A small tub at £4.99 lasts ages.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Most cost effective filler for seamless handfinished corner joints.

Thanks Jonathan,

I check that out. I'm having to find new places to buy things now that our local hardware shop has closed and won't be coming back. It's a different situation now and I will be paying a delivery charge now for so many things which I used to buy from just up the road. I need to get used to how things are going to work from now on.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I'll second the 'No-Nonsense'. :D

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 600g/71551

I've used about 5Kg this past two weeks. It makes a good grain filler as well.

** My Tubs last about twenty minutes. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

That sounds very interesting! My nearest screwfix is not very local, but I guess I've got to get used to no longer being about to buy this sort of thing locally anymore! Thanks to everyone for the suggestion.
Mark.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Screwfix are very good. Hardly ever out of stock and order online and get it next day usually. :clap:

Another thing I use a lot of is their No-Nonsense non-solvented grab adhesive (cartridges). This serves as a filler but also
as a glue. Good for bigger gaps. It has to be wiped off while dry though as it's very hard once set and sanding it is hard work.
Good for joining stacked combos but you have to work fast and wipe off any oozings. It does accept water-based paints on top
which is a boon. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About