Acrylic and glass at the same time

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ade704
Organisation: Framing Incredible
Interests: Poker, film, reading, skiing, SCUBA

Acrylic and glass at the same time

Post by Ade704 »

Afternoon all

I have a customer with some huge posters to frame and he wants 99% anti UV protection. They are too big for traditional mounts and he doesn't want the frames to be much bigger than the artwork so at first I was thinking 99% acrylic would be the only solution. But then I thought...

Could we use regular 2mm acrylic (with no UV properties) behind UV99% artglass? The poster would be up against the acrylic and the artglass would provide the protection.

Anyone tried this before and/or can you think of any possibly drawbacks - misting perhaps?

Thanks, Adrian
Adrian Meakin
Framing Incredible Ltd - Blackpool
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Acrylic and glass at the same time

Post by Not your average framer »

The glass will tend to be flatter than the acrlic, so where the glass and acrylic touch there will most like be a strange optical effect and where they don't touch it will look different. You'll be a clever man to make this not look a bit strange!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ade704
Organisation: Framing Incredible
Interests: Poker, film, reading, skiing, SCUBA

Post by Ade704 »

Thanks Mark - I knew it couldn't be that easy. I will dummy up a small one and see what it looks like. Thanks again and will let you know if I crack it (no pun intended).
Adrian Meakin
Framing Incredible Ltd - Blackpool
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

a small one might not show the effect as much. It needs to be big enough for the acrylic to flex a little.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I know it's not the answer you were asking for but why not just hinge to board, use a spacer and glaze with thicker UV99 glass?
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

It probably would be OK, but the acrylic would serve no purpose as far as I can see. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

I was trying to understand why using both the glass and the acrylic being used at the same time made sense. I'm not really sure why, but is the acrylic there to protect the painting, if the glass got broken? It still does not make much sense to me!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer