Dry mount plastic "canvas"?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jon_Brooke
Organisation: Picture Frame Workshop
Interests: Running

Dry mount plastic "canvas"?

Post by Jon_Brooke »

A customer would like some posters that have been printed onto a plastic canvas framed under glass.

The posters bleed off the canvas so there is no way to stretch them. But they also have some slight wrinkling (looks like cockling would on paper) so I would like to dry mount them.

Normally I dry mount using a heat press but would that melt the "canvas"? Alas I don't have one to practice on.

Or could I use spray mount?

Thanks,

Jon
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Dry mount plastic "canvas"?

Post by JFeig »

Are you saying that it is decorative art and of no intrinsic value?

Not knowing the actual type of plastic and its melting point is a crap shoot for heated dry mounting.
The same is true with the use of adhesives and the ability to permanently stick the plastic canvas.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Jon_Brooke
Organisation: Picture Frame Workshop
Interests: Running

Post by Jon_Brooke »

Yes - minimal value so no need for reversibility.

Actually, I found another thread on a similar subject where people were suggesting Fastmount so I might try that.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've got an old manually operated roller laminating machine and it works just fine when mounting, when using twin release cold mounting films to mount plastic media. Mind you there's a really big difference in results between using a proper roller laminator at just doing it by hand. I only ever used the basic twin release film from Lion and so I was not using anything special. It works well if the media is nice, clean and free from greasy finger marks before moulting. Greasy finger marks are a definite issue, better safe than sorry. Make sure it is clean and free from grease!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

I recently mounted some cheap prints that were printed on a flimsy, canvas like material to display board using double sided mount film and two passes through my Jet Mounter. I should stress that the items were cheap, easily replaced and the client wanted a basic Level 4 approach to the job. They bonded really well, but I don’t think I could have got the same effect with spray mount and a hand roller. Looking at the material, I don’t think I’d have gone anywhere near it with heat.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

For this sort of job we lay the ‘canvas’ onto 3mm self adhesive board and then stick it in a cold Hotpress for 30 seconds of full vacuum (no heat)
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

Whatever you do don't use Spraymount. :shock:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Give Steve Goodall at Wessex Oldham branch a call. He will be able to advise on temp and time for Hotpressing.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Ultima Thule
Organisation: retail framer
Interests: reading ,real ale, music

Post by Ultima Thule »

Following posts on a FB page I have been using Mount Cor successfully for these cheap "canvases". It is American but Lion sell it, along with instructions, and it bonds them perfectly.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

The Hotpress "Dry Mount Film - Clear" supplied by Wessex is designed for canvas mounting, but it doesn't mention a temperature point for curing... Steve will know.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer