Removable certificate

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
nolonstacey
Organisation: The Nolon Stacey Gallery
Interests: Artist

Removable certificate

Post by nolonstacey »

I'm sure there's a simple way of doing this, but I haven't found it yet. I have a customer wanting a graduation certificate framing, but needs to be able to take it out in case they ever need it. I guess you'd need a backing board that's easily removable, but how would you mount a certificate while making it removable?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Removable certificate

Post by Not your average framer »

How about using a platform mount in a frame with a easily removable backing board.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Turn buttons is the answer to a removable backing. They are a metal stamping with one hole for a screw that pivots on the axis of the screw.

As a matter of need to remove the diploma from the actual frame. My college diploma has never been opened, as being framed over 40 years ago.
In the time, that degree was the most expensive purchase I ever made. A full semester was about $300 a semester for tuition. :wink: :wow:
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Jerome is right! They have a really nice look of quality about them as well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
nolonstacey

Post by nolonstacey »

Not your average framer wrote: Sat 23 Jul, 2022 11:31 am How about using a platform mount in a frame with a easily removable backing board.
I'm quickly searching 'platform mount'. I think I get it, but how easy would it be to remove the certificate? I think, what they're hoping for is if the person needs to go to an interview, they can simply take out the certificate to take with them and then put it back in

jfeig, I agree - I graduated uni in 96 and I don't think I've seen my degree certificate since 96. I've certainly never needed it.
nolonstacey

Post by nolonstacey »

So I might not be understanding it correctly, but the platform mount does make the certificate removable, but it's not a 'take it out, put it back, take it out, put it back' situation, as you'd have to retape the back every time - or am I getting that wrong?
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Sounds like they could just get a high quality giclee copy of the certificate and keep the original one safely framed.
Sometimes customers just need to be given the sensible option that they haven't thought of...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
nolonstacey

Post by nolonstacey »

There's a thought Justin! I hadn't thought of that, but I could scan and print that myself!
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

My first thought is to frame it using Secol V-strips attached to the mount. Then once they have removed the backboard, all they have to do is slightly bend back the V-strips to remove the certificate. It can easily be put back in place by bending back the V-strips again to slide the certificate back into position. Just make sure you don't butt the V-strips too tightly up to the certificate.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I'd go along tge same route as Rainbow, using strips or even photocorners, when using a window mount
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Rainbow wrote: Sat 23 Jul, 2022 3:11 pm My first thought is to frame it using Secol V-strips attached to the mount.
edit. I meant "...attached to the undermount."

As Steve says, you could only use these strips if you have a window mount to hide them. Also, see the thread I've started on Secol V-strips as there might be a problem getting hold of them.

If you've not used these strips before, you don't use the whole strip (very expensive and unnecessary). I just cut the length into quite small pieces and use two or three of them along each side depending on how big the picture is. To make it even easier to take the certificate out and replace it, you could omit the strips along the top edge (assuming the customer isn't going to hang it upside-down :giggle: )
nolonstacey

Post by nolonstacey »

Thanks Rainbow. I did a search for them and as you said in your other thread, there aren't many places that sell them. Lion have them in stock. I'll wait for the customer to return before I order anything as I think I'll suggest producing a copy of the certificate to frame first.