unfinished wood craft frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

unfinished wood craft frames

Post by daveym »

I'm just wondering if anyone on here has supplied or thought about supplying unfinished wood for crafting ideas such as picture frames and mirrors. There is a massive crafting community but very few decent suppliers. The majority of these frames end up getting produced in europe probably because wood is cheaper. However, artists like myself are always looking for new suppliers especially in the UK. So far I've only come across 2 main suppliers, one being Hobbycraft as an example.

Unfinished wood looks very boring and by the name suggests it's just basic cheap wood. However, crafters like myself enjoy painting, decoupaging etc around the edge of such blank frames and in doing so bring new life to what was something that had quite a boring appearance. I've been searching for a basic wood frame for mirrors with a wide enough area around the frame that allows me to decorate. So far I've only found frames that measure approx 20cm x approx 15cm but the actual mirror is about 14cm x 9cm, which is a little short on one side. This size also only leaves 3cm around the sides to decorate and that is too narrow an area. I'd preferably like 5cm either side. The mirror can be square or rectangle. Ideally I would need sizes whereby I can get the mirror directly from a supplier without having to have it cut, so things like a 15cm x 15cm mirror are quite easy to get hold of.

if anyone can supply just the bare basic unfinished wood frames with a fixing on rear please let me know.
AtelierFrames
Organisation: Atelier Frames
Interests: Arts, crafts, sports, outdoors

Re: unfinished wood craft frames

Post by AtelierFrames »

Sent you a PM