Morso Adjustment of Height

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Estelle
Organisation: Jane's Frames
Interests: Painting

Morso Adjustment of Height

Post by Estelle »

Hello

I wonder if you can help me.? I’m an artist and do my own framing. I have a foot operated Morso Guillotine.

My client wanted a very wide, deep and expensive moulding which I ordered but very stupidly didn’t check the maximum size that my Morso will take.

I’m just wondering whether there’s some way to raise the height of the blade in order to accommodate a moulding of dimensions W - 88mm. H - 54mm. I look forward to hearing from someone. 🙄

Thank you.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Morso Adjustment of Height

Post by StevenG »

Hi, yes it's possible. If you look behind your Morso you'll see a long threaded bar, near the bottom you'll see two nuts that determine the height, you can make the adjustments by moving the position of those. (if that makes sense)

88mm will be pretty tight though :)
prospero

Post by prospero »

There is a way to cut moulding up the max width you can physically get into the machine - 4¼" I think.
You have to take off the rebate supports and hope it's chunky enough not to snap the sight-edge off and also
not use the production stops and 'eyeball' the length. Work out the length you need along the inner edge of the
moulding. Then present the first cut and slice it until you can go no further. Then, go sideways to clear the waste
until you can run the blade along the cut face until you are all the way to the back. On the second (left end) cut
do the same except that you must establish the length by making a little mark with a pencil and cut up to the mark
and then go no further. It's a bit long-winded but I've done it a few times. Sometimes it's a good idea to square-cut the
pieces slightly oversize with a saw and mitre the ends. You have to ensure the opposing rails are exactly the same length.

That's probably sounds very confusing but think about it and it will all become clear. :lol:

** That's a last ditch method in case you can't get enough clearance by raising the blades. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Estelle

Post by Estelle »

Hi Steve G. Thank you very much for your reply. My husband has taken a look at the machine and seems to understand what you’re saying so is going to have a go at it tomorrow. Thanks again!
Estelle

Post by Estelle »

Hi Prospero. Thank you for your help. My husband is going to have a go at raising the blades tomorrow so 🤞. I understand what you’re saying re the advice and shall do it if I’m still having problems. Thank you again. 👍😊
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi Estelle. It's not a hard job, but beware if you raise the blades up too high you reach a point where they don't
come down enough to complete the cut. :wink:

** Good idea to rest the blades on a piece of scrap when adjusting the height so the cutter block cannot drop.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

I concur with all the good advice already given.

If, however that doesn't work, then you need someone with a double mitre saw.
I see you're in Oldham. Wessex Pictures are there too. Why not give them a ring because they're bound to know a local framer that has a mitre saw and I'm would be able to quickly mitre the moulding for you.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Over the years, the springs on a Morso can also get a bit tired a no longer raise the blade as fully as the once did. I am not suggesting that this has anything to do which this actual situation, but there have been times, when I have needed to grasp the back of my Morso's sliding cutting block and to pull it up a bit with one hand to raise the blades up to where the springs could original lift the to, before the springs got a bit tired.

BTW, I have seen it written some where that when adjusting the height of the blades, that it is recommended practice to place a solid piece of wood underneath the blades to prevent the blades a the sliding cutting block from falling out of the bottom of the top plat and causing severe injury. You should be aware that the Morso's return springs operate through the foot pedal mechanism and operate on the weight of the cutting block and the blade through the nuts a the drawbaw. So always kee the nuts fully engaged with the threads on the drawbar.

Apearently, unpredictable accidents have occured at times to a number of unsuspecting people!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Estelle

Post by Estelle »

Hi again Prospero. Problem solved. Thank you so much for your advice! Interesting what you say about raising the blades too high, will keep an eye on that. 😊👍
Estelle

Post by Estelle »

Hi Not Your Average Framer. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to respond. All very helpful info. Think we’ve now got it sorted thanks to everyone’s input 😊👍