Some of my favorite factory finished mouldings have recently been discontinued and I have been picking replacements.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Some of my favorite factory finished mouldings have recently been discontinued and I have been picking replacements.

Post by Not your average framer »

I used to use plenty of Simons 7000/0003, it was a really nicely factory finished reverse pine for only 30 pence per foot and was really popular with my customers as well. It also gave me good scope for a really worthwhile mark up, which is very helpful during the less busy months of the year. I have replaced this with Simons moulding 1222. It's more than twice the price of the original moulding, but I have used this before, it's again is a factory finished moulding and it cuts and joins a treat. The colour is a dusty rose colour and it has a nice matt finish which always looks good to me. It's not hard to change the tone of the colouring a little by simply sponging and wiping it with a little bit of thinned down acrylic paint, stain, or pigmented paste wax and to do this before cutting and joining, which really saves time.

Another moulding which sort of serves as a replacement for Simons 7000/0003 is BRIT/0205, again this is a factory finished moulding and is almost a smaller version of the 7000/0003, but is very helpfully cheaply prices as well, which will be helpful to me as I will buy a decent quantity of this. It's only available in the one colour, but being a matt finish, I will easily be able to overcoat this with shellac sandind sealer sponger paint over it by length by simple wiping in over with thinned down acrylic paint. I think that It will also sell well in black, since it a size which will look good in black! These moulding might interest others as they have plenty of potential for mark up. The both have a bit of a retro look about them.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: Some of my favorite factory finished mouldings have recently been discontinued and I have been picking replacements.

Post by vintage frames »

Mark, on your last post you said you are going to step back from posting on the forum. This is because you recognised that at the moment, people weren't interested in your posts and posting continuously was just putting people off the forum.
As an admin, why would you want to do that?

I've read your post. I have to say I haven't a clue what you're talking about.
You have shown no photos of what you're trying to say.
How is anyone supposed to understand what your post is about?
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Some of my favorite factory finished mouldings have recently been discontinued and I have been picking replacements.

You need to look at a Simoms catalogue to see the old original moulding they now longer show it on there website.. Here's some pages from the simons website:

https://djsimons.co.uk/product/reverse- ... ue-pine-2/

This first page shows BRIT/36, Simons 7000/0003 is a cut price version of BRIT/36.

https://djsimons.co.uk/product/limed-oak/

This second page shows Simons moulding 1222. They say that it is limed oak, but I've used it before and it's more like a dusty rose colour. (currently 70 pence per foot)

https://djsimons.co.uk/product/reverse-antique-pine-2/

This third page shows Simons moulding BRIT/0205 (currently 26 pence per foot)

I like to have some useful and not to expensive factory finished mouldings which I can use at the drop of a hat, which also will give me a better than average mark up and over time I can turn my left overs into useful and saleable frames. Well this is some of them!

I hope that this makes more sense now!
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Thank you for the photographs, Mark.

You say you want to buy a decent quantity of these mouldings.
Can I ask who you intend to sell them to.
Have you got customers in your shop wanting to buy these?
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer

Yes, I don't have much trouble selling them. They look quite reasonable when You see them for real, but I also have other ways of adapting them to look "rustic" and old. Most modern stuff is very hard to sell around here. Also there quite good market for items which look like they are old, salvaged and given a modern look. They might like like something old which has been repainted with chalk paint and distressed a bit, But finding old items to do this with rarely works! It's much easier to just startof with newer but older looking mouldings are give them an older and distressed look. My customers already know the score, they tell me what they want and I make it for them. There's not a lot that I do, is really up to date at all. I originally started my business with mostly old stock from two businesses which were closing down. It was all old stock and not much like what you find elsewhere. Customers have liked it and I've stayed with it. It's been keeping me paying the bills for not far off 20 years now. I expect that you have notice that I have said that I try not to produce anything which you can see for sale elsewhere. It needs to be different!

My market is the "niche market" stuff, my customers like old and quirky looking stuff. I sell quite a good level of box frames, which seem to get mostly used for framing old bits of junk, pick up lying around on Dartmoor. Some items picked up on Dartmoor are personal soverners, some suff gets sold on. The better off people seem to go out of their ways to have things that most people do not have. I expect that you will have noticed from some of my posts that I used to buy and various items through South Devon's local auction houses. Well lots of the auction houses are not there any more, but I'm still doing this stuff. It was still making money before I was forced to make premises a few doors down the road and then had a stroke. I've been doing this for quite a long time now and I'm getting a bit old to be starting new things now. You know that they say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, well maybe I'm living proof of that. I havemade a few changes over the years, because I have had too!

Before I started to have trouble walking, I used to go to the Chinese take away uo the road. While I was wait for my food, I would sit down and read from a pile of "Country Living" magazines. There magazines ae full of diliberately old fashion furnishings and household items, which people thing look old, but trendy. Well they are not old and genuine old stuff is not like that at all. What lots of this stuff is pretends to look old, but with a modern look and finish. It's the "Interior designers" idea of what older country homes should look like and I also do a little bit of that as well. It's trendy, it's upmarket and it sells as well. Under the paintwork, the woodwork is all new wood! It's a sort of faux country style and people like to buy it, if the price is right. There is another trendy countrystyle market and that is for the "french country style" items. It's a well known look and I've got a few mouldings, which are very typical of that style. It's also very easy to create "french country sytle" frames as stacked moulding frames.

In a nut shell, that what I do!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

What was the Chinese restaurant called Mark? You never know, I may have visited it myself in the past, we could compare notes on our favourite dishes and what cologne the waiter was wearing.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer

It's not a Chinese restaurant, it's a Chinese take away and it called Hoy's. I like going there just to read the "Country Living" magazines.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

But what's your favourite thing on the menu? You must have a favourite??
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer