Large Tapestry

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
huntvambo
Organisation: Framed
Interests: Music, cycling, drinking, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Large Tapestry

Post by huntvambo »

I have a customer with large, 5ft x 4ft, professionally woven tapestry. She doesn't want it framed persay but wants it stretched so that it's flat and can be hung on the wall.
It seems to be pretty square, so not running out. It has a cotton backing.

I was thinking of using a sheet of Rhino board from Wessex, this is a high density clay papered board. Then using a thread, same colour as the tapestry border, and stiching it to the board but would this work with something this big? Would stitching around the outside be sufficient or would stitching in the centre be needed? Is rhino board suitable?

Open to all suggestions

Maybe one to pass on?
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Large Tapestry

Post by pramsay13 »

If it's already square and quite heavy I would probably just try hanging it as it is and see how it looks.
Your customer will appreciate you not charging loads for something that is maybe not required.
If it needs stretched I would sew extensions on to the edge and stretch them over stretcher bars.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Large Tapestry

Post by Not your average framer »

The Ryno board from Wessex is only 5mm think. Firstly I wonder if something a bit thicker would create a better presentation. Also Ryno board is just a higher density grade of foam board and I'm wondering how much more dense Ryno board is going to be compared to normal foam board. Lots of foamboard types have clay coated facing papers, so this may not be any great distinction.

How flat and stiff is Ryno board going to be? Maybe it's pretty good, or maybe not stiff enough. I have never used Ryno board myself, so I don't Know! However my instincts would be to product a board and sub frame sandwich to create an edge thickness of maybe about 20mm thick, as I would not want the edge to look too skinny. For myself a thicker edge would tend to create a look of greater importance, which is something which I always aim for. Just my twopence worth!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer