What's the minimum thickness of frame for safely firing framing points into.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

What's the minimum thickness of frame for safely firing framing points into.

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm looking at getting a thin deep moulding for making a box frame and the plan is to use a very skinny moulding, so how skinny is too skinny to fire framing points into the moulding, without the framing points bursting through the moulding? It's likely to be an obeche moulding!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Re: What's the minimum thickness of frame for safely firing framing points into.

Post by prospero »

What are you using for firing them Mark?

Have you got a Multipoint gun? I use one all the time as the two prongs never go deep but they hold well
and never work loose. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: What's the minimum thickness of frame for safely firing framing points into.

Hi Peter,

I also have amongst my framing guns a multimaster manual gun, but I was hoping to use my pneumatic tab gun. The moulding which I was hoping to use is only likely to be about 5mm thick where the tabs are likely to be fired in. There may be a requirement to have flexi-tabs on this frame, unless I can find an alternative way of making the back removable.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

The only way I can think of to make a removable back in the 5mm thick frame is to have some sort of 'turn' device fixed to the back
which locates in a slot inside the frame. Cutting the slot would be a challenge. You could maybe use a biscuit cutter in conjunction
with a suitable jig.

There's a little project for you. :D :ninja:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

Thanks Peter,

Yes, I guess that I'll have to go for a moulding with more sidewall thinkness instead,

Thanks,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer