mending Fletcher points driver

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
jon buck
Organisation: Forge Framing Studio
Interests: golf music reading drinking wine and eating fresh food

mending Fletcher points driver

Post by jon buck »

Hi

Is anybody aware of anyone who can sort out a couple of points drivers, rather stupidly tried to do it myselfe. Big mistake :head:

many thanks

Jon
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: mending Fletcher points driver

Post by Justintime »

I found it's a two man job! There have been some Ebay listings in the past for servicing them.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
China shop
Organisation: Framing shop & Gallery
Interests: Sport, framing

Post by China shop »

Mark and Jamie at TGS Repairs do it. tgsrepairs.co.uk
Roger
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It is not usually necessary to dismantle the whole framing gun. If the gun is misfiring, undo the two screws at the front of the gun and clean out and dust a debries. Reassemble this and try it again. If it is still misfiring you need to fit a new hammer blade. Do do this you still do not need to dismantle the gun. Just undo and remove the bolt at the rear of the gun, which adjusts the firing pressure the undo the two screws either side at the bottom of the gun and you will find that the firing mechanism is still held in place by the two plastic side mouldings. To release this slightly loose the top screws just enough to gently prise the bottom of the gun open enough to remove the chanel in the bottom of the gun, but no futher otherwise you will have dismantle the whole and will need to understand how to put the whole gun back together in sequence.

It is not a two man job to reassemble the gun, but it is certainly not easy for those who don't understand the reassembly sequence. I have personally dismatled these gun and reassembled the several times, but explaining how to do it via a forum post might not be a good way to do it. You don't need to misfire too many times to cause too much wear to the front edge of the hammer blade to allow the gun to be misfiring to much too be acceptable. I've had my Fletcher Terry guns more than 2o years and the are still going strong. I have two rigid point guns, two flexi-tab guns and one multi-point gun and tey are all still going strong. My two flexi-tab guns have had the ridge which makes sure that you can only use the Fletcher Terry flex-tabs ground off smooth, so that I can use generic Flexi-tabs, which are much cheaper.

I use Alphamacchine flexi-tab which come in boxes of something like 15,000 flex-tabs. I hope that this is at least helpful to someone.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
jon buck
Organisation: Forge Framing Studio
Interests: golf music reading drinking wine and eating fresh food

Post by jon buck »

Thanks for reply,s.
All the best

Jon