Mounting very large photo

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
hangbristol
Organisation: Hang
Interests: Printmaking, walking, cooking

Mounting very large photo

Post by hangbristol »

Hi there

I’m looking for advice on the best method for adhering a very large photo onto Mountboard. It’s going to be window mounted with glass. The image is printed on quite heavy high quality photographic paper and size is roughly a metre squared.

I’m worried the weight will make the paper bowl or cockle. Dry mounting isn’t an option.

Our standard practice is conservation, but realise we may need an alternative for this job (which the customer is aware of).

Any thoughts or opinions on this greatly appreciated.

Thanks
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Re: Mounting very large photo

Post by YPF »

I don’t have a definitive answer but would give some thought to using something like Lineco mounting strips (Lion item 9505). They will allow some expansion of the paper and support it around all the edges. I might also consider a small number of pass through hinges in the mass of the centre to help with potential bowing.

As ever, expectation management of your customer is important here.

I am quite interested in the board and cutter you will use for an aperture 1000mm x 1000mm
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
hangbristol
Organisation: Hang
Interests: Printmaking, walking, cooking

Post by hangbristol »

Thanks Steve for the advice - will look into the strips.
Ali
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

If it is having a window mount then why not use gummed T hinges, 3 or 4. The weight won't make it cockle, it'll be a change in temperature or humidity that does that imo. There are various weights of hinging tape available for heavier pieces, but it's recommended to use a slightly lighter hinge than the work to ensure that in an accident, the hinge breaks before the work tears. If you are really concerned, then why not platform mount it. If you're unsure, James Miller has a leaflet/book on this technique.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer