Source for 2mm Aluminium panels?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Phil Hudson
Organisation: Photo
Interests: Photography

Source for 2mm Aluminium panels?

Post by Phil Hudson »

Having read some previous threads about mounting Fujiflex gloss prints I am looking for a good source for pre-cut 2mm aluminium panels to work with. I have a number of identical sized prints to mount using face mount adhesive and a Jetmounter, so just need a batch of panels cut to size.

Also do I need to specify HOW they are cut - in other words would a regular guillotine shear cut make the edges slightly bent which would show up on a high gloss print - or isn't this how it's done and I'm worrying about nothing? I guess I'm asking how do I ensure that the panels are going to be flat enough for mounting Fujiflex?

Also does the aluminium usually need further preparation (eg sanding/degreasing, etc) before mounting takes place?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Phil
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Re: Source for 2mm Aluminium panels?

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Hi Phil,

I'm pasting a response I made on https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/in ... #msg952945

You want drytac's facemount adhesive - more expensive, but dead smooth, and you can see if there are any faults / dust specks prior to adhering the print.

1) What type of aluminum do I need to get? Any specific specs, like thickness and how the edges are cut? I'd say 24x24 to 30x40"

I'd go for 1050 Al, 2mm, filmed both faces. No idea where in your area to get it cut - we went through 4-5 different suppliers before we found a local (30 miles) supplier who could deliver a quality product to us. Clean edges with a fine, fresh deburring blade, then polish smooth with diamond pad. If collecting from the supplier is an option, I'd strongly consider it. We and our clients are far more picky about faults than most of our supplier's clients... Most of the faults we've had with our current supplier have been caused in transit.

2) I'm guessing in the treatment the image has a lamination over it since there is no glass? Any suggestions on material?

Try the protac lustre, or satin matte

3) I don't have a lot of mounting experience. Would the proper process be laminate the surface of the print. Then apply the adhesive to the aluminum, then mount the laminated photo to the aluminum? What is easiest.

That's the way to do it - in the UK, the face mount is around $15.00/sqM, so laminate first, so that any dust is captured (not present) before you mount. Make sure you trim the adhesive flush with a razor, before mounting (stops the blade form snagging). Thoroughly clean the aluminium with iso propyl alcohol, to remove any grease, before laying down the adhesive.
Start off on smaller pieces, with the machine on a slowish speed, and remember to wipe back of print with a clean tac-cloth before, and as you go.
If you get a few small bubbles in the adhesive, you can pop them with the point of a scalpel, and squeeze down with a thumb nail. Major adhesive application failures can be removed as long as you do it within a few minutes of applying.

4) Trimming. I'm guessing unlike mounting to sintra or foamcore where I'd mount to a larger board, then trim the finished piece to size. We really can't trim the aluminum. so the image is larger than the alumiunum. The aluminum is the finished size, then you'd trim the image to the metal?

2mm bleed all round, then trim face up with a razor, cutting from below, with the work over the edge of the bench. New blade edge on each print edge.

5) I've had issues trimming photo paper like this by hand, without causing the edge to rise up a bit. (image face down). Any suggestions on trimming the paper flush to the aluminum?

6) I have a lot of Epson Premium Glossy 250. Will a laminate work well with this? Or is another paper recommended?

Should work absolutely fine.

Make sure that your laminator is set up absolutely even left to right, and set pressure low - enough to apply the adhesive, but too much pressure will lead to waves, bubbles and copious swearing.

When we get aluminium cut, we get charged from 8x4' sheets, so we tend to order what is needed for client jobs, and then order the remained cut to common sizes (10x8, 12x18 etc). it would be worth getting some pieces 24x6" and 32x6" cut, to use as leader boards for applying the adhesive. Also some 10x5" sections, to use to set the roller pressure. Make sure that you clean the aluminium of any sharp edges, as these will easily damage the silicon rollers.

And practice. And practice more. And shave your arms / head, eyebrows. Be not friendly with your pets, hoover and mop your workplace. Use sections of multitac to wax yourself and clothes before you start, and make sure your workspace is at least 65F, for the adhesive and laminate to work properly. The nice thing about aluminium is that is doesn't hold a static charge, so doesn't attract dust.

It is a fairly straight forward procedure, and just like dentistry, is simple, when you know how. Unlike root canal work, you will be the one to suffer when the procedure goes wrong. But with practice, it becomes routine.

Fujiflex is "fun" to mount. As we don't do c-type prints, I politely decline All requests to mount it, and point customers to A. Bliss in Farringdon.
My main supplier of cut aluminium has moved from Dartford, to Plymouth, so can't make any sugestions on that side.
Phil Hudson
Organisation: Photo
Interests: Photography

Re: Source for 2mm Aluminium panels?

Post by Phil Hudson »

Thanks for the wealth of information Richard - much appreciated!

Phil