Framer in West London who does very large frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
nickirolls
Organisation: (None)
Interests: Painting, Drawing

Framer in West London who does very large frames

Post by nickirolls »

Hi,
I make very large charcoal drawings (2m x 1.5m) and am looking for someone who can frame them - preferably with glass in a deep frame. I am in South West London. Currently having a show of my drawings at One Paved Court, Richmond.
Thanks
Nicki
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Framer in West London who does very large frames

Post by JFeig »

I have framed pastel drawings on the 2m x 3m width size and never considered using real 2.5 or 3 mm glass. It is just too dangerous for both the framer and the consumer. The hardwood frame I used was about 25 x 85 mm deep and had a wood reinforcing strainer inside the back of the frame with 6 mm acrylic and a 37 mm airgap between the glazing and the art.

Yes, there is science and engineering behind constructing a picture frame and not just nailing 4 sections of wood together in addition to the artistic visual aspects. 6mm laminated glass could work if you are willing to accept the 75 kg weight of the glazing.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

Hi Nicki

I'm not in London but ship plenty of work that way for artists all over the UK
happy to discuss options as I have done work this size before- and bigger
LondonLetterpress
Organisation: London Letterpress
Interests: countryside, photography, art

Post by LondonLetterpress »

Hi Nikki

I'm based in Richmond (west London) and before you go any further with glass it might be worth contacting the venue to see if they will allow the glass and what specification it needs to be, they might also need a copy of the installers insurance and a RAMS. You also need to consider how the walls are fabricated and what type of fixings can be used, it's not just a case of getting them framed but also making sure that they can be safely hung, if they are hanging from a rail system you would also need to know what fixings are required.

Maybe you've done all of this and I'm waffling for no reason but it is worth mentioning.

I have been working in print for 30 years and mainly print large format event and exhibition work (often over 10m wide), your request for 2m x 1.5 isn't really that excessive and don't be duped into thinking that it is.

The other thing that a supplier would beed to know is the installation date, lead time is everything.

If you want me to call into the venue with you I'd be happy to do so, gratis

Gary