Underpinner cs88 won't work

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
steveogt4
Organisation: Jims framing
Interests: Photography
Cars

Underpinner cs88 won't work

Post by steveogt4 »

Hi I'm currently trying to sell but I can't it to work the pedal goes down and the black block raises but won't push the pin up any ideas thanks.
Attachments
IMG20221113152656.jpg
IMG20221113152645.jpg
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Underpinner cs88 won't work

Post by Justintime »

I suggest removing the block and silver metal "hammer", clean down regrease and put back, checking that the hammer is not damaged. If this doesn't work, try TGS repairs or Mark at underpinnerspares.co.uk. They'll be able to advise over the phone.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

There are a number of possibilities why this will not work. A good one to check for is probably that the hammer blades is stuck in the receiver block and as a result that the hammer blade and has become detached from it's mounting. If the hammer blade cannot return to it's reseting position, then the machine can not feed the next wedge into position for the next operation. You need to remove the receiver block to dismantle it and to see what is stopping it from working.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
steveogt4
Organisation: Jims framing
Interests: Photography
Cars

Post by steveogt4 »

Appreciate the help which part isit which needs removed and il check thanks.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The receiver block is the rectangular silver block from which the wedge emerges and is inserted into the moulding. Earlier machines have a allen key screw in front of this block facing upwards and later machines have an allen screw lower down at the front of the surround around the receiver block and the screw is accessed fom underneath the top plate on the machine. I hope that this helps.

The auto matic Cassesse machines have a wider and stronger scroll spring pushing the wedges forward in the wedge cartridges, but the scroll spring used in the CS-88 is a narrower and therefore less powerful spring and does not provide quite the same level of force when pushing the wedges forward in the cartridge, which can sometime prevent the next wedge being loaded fully forward into the receiver block. Sometimes this is because this receive block needs cleaning and lubricating with an internal smear of light grease and any debris in the path for loading the wedges removed.

I've had two CS-88 so far and I have always found these to be excellent machines.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer