Deep Box frames

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Deep Box frames

Post by Not your average framer »

I usually like to make my better quality box frames using Simons moulding 000K/0114. The wood grain shows nicely through the paint and looks quite classy. I sometime make up cheaper box frames by converting ready made frames which have been hanging around too long without selling, by adding a simple rear box section inside the rebate and securinging it in position with multi-tab and screws. I always charge much more for the box frames where it is all one moulding. Letting customers see both versions often help to convince them to spend the extra on the better looking single oulding version.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
framefreakuk
Organisation: FrameFreak
Interests: Picture Framing, art & design, fitness, dogs & cats, children!

Re: Deep Box frames

Post by framefreakuk »

Thanks for this. I need to create a depth of 115mm....so have seen posts about stacking frames on top of each other? I don't have a bandsaw though which I imagine would be needed to remove the rebate from the lower frames. And I would think there would be "joins" along the edges of the frame?

I would like to become skillful in making these very deep box frames because as you say, there is a definite market there. I feel a course coming on! Perhaps I will post that as another enquiry to see if I can find one near me in Surrey.... :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

115mm is very deep for a box frame. You either have to contend with the big gap between frame and wall or conceal
the gap with a deep moulding. The trouble with the latter is that it can look like a big lump on the wall, depending on
where it is hung. On a small frame it can look like a fire alarm switch. :P

One way of building a deep frame is the get a wide, flat moulding and mitre it at 90º - that is with the rebate pointing up.
When joined, this forms a little shelf that another moulding can drop into. It does mean a bit of fabrication with spacers
to retain the glass, etc. Not really an option for a 4" deep box though....

IMHO both a huge "slab-sided" frame and a "floating-off-the-wall" frame look better than something between the two. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
framefreakuk

Post by framefreakuk »

Thanks so much Prospero. I am now wondering if I could do a frame within a frame, creating the max height with spacers etc. and then using a double mount to hide all the internal fixings..... The customer is happy for me to flatten the hat as much as possible so we can get the overall height down too. So I should be left with a stepped slab sided box. Wish me luck!
framefreakuk

Post by framefreakuk »

I've just realised this may be the "something between the two" option that you mention..... :?
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

If you use A333 Obeche from Rose and Hollis, it is designed to allow for extension pieces such as A335, A337 and A339 (all in obeche) to be fitted into the rear of it. They extend the rebate in a variety of size depths, which should give you the clearance you need. Fill and sand the gap once it is slotted together, then add a paint finish and the join becomes invisible in a substantial and solid looking frame. No other woodworking tools required.

We've framed baseball caps and cricket caps (as well as many other 3D items) in this moulding very successfully. It can be deep enough to sit independently on the floor or a shelf/table if they don't like the look of such a deep frame hanging on their wall.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
framefreakuk

Post by framefreakuk »

Tudor Rose wrote: Thu 17 Nov, 2022 12:45 pm If you use A333 Obeche from Rose and Hollis, it is designed to allow for extension pieces such as A335, A337 and A339 (all in obeche) to be fitted into the rear of it. They extend the rebate in a variety of size depths, which should give you the clearance you need. Fill and sand the gap once it is slotted together, then add a paint finish and the join becomes invisible in a substantial and solid looking frame. No other woodworking tools required.

We've framed baseball caps and cricket caps (as well as many other 3D items) in this moulding very successfully. It can be deep enough to sit independently on the floor or a shelf/table if they don't like the look of such a deep frame hanging on their wall.
Thank you Jo, I will look into these - sounds like a perfect solution.