Bevel Painting

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
WillWoll
Organisation: Will Niekirk Photography
Interests: Photography, printmaking, framing.

Bevel Painting

Post by WillWoll »

Hi, I'm new to the forum, so hope this isn't a dumb question.
Customer wants a triple mount, middle of which they selected a black core mountboard (FATG level 3). I can't find that colour board in black core to conservation standard (level 2), but the item being framed in an historic document and I want to make sure it's well protected.
One option is to use the correct colour solid core conservation board and paint the bevel black, using a good black acrylic paint.
My question is whether this will negatively affect the conservation properties of the board.
Any thoughts?
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Re: Bevel Painting

Post by Tudor Rose »

Welcome to the Forum and questions are always good!

Short answer is - no, a painted bevel using acrylic paint will not downgrade the board from Level 2. Slightly longer answer below!

As it is the middle layer, you are already spacing it away from the artwork. But if you're working to the Guild's Framing Levels and you use a Level 3 or Level 4 board, then it will downgrade it to a Level 3 or Level 4 framing spec even if the rest of the work is done to Level 2. If it is blackcore that they've chosen, then it is going to be Level 4 as Level 3 is Whitecore boards under the new standards. Under the old standards it would be Standard Board.

Your solution of painting the bevel on a Level 2 board would be absolutely fine. It won't affect the Level the board sits at - you're adding acrylic paint which would be no different to adding ruled lines with acrylic ink or watercolour lines or wash panel. Again, as it is the middle level then you are already spacing it away from the artwork.

We do painted boards as the middle layer on triple mounts all the time at both Level 1 and Level 2 spec. If it was just a double mount with the bottom layer painted, then we'd add another hidden/pastel spacing layer that would be against the artwork just in case the paint marked the artwork in any way.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
WillWoll
Organisation: Will Niekirk Photography
Interests: Photography, printmaking, framing.

Post by WillWoll »

Thank you for that comprehensive reply. Question answered, and I learned a little bit more besides, so much appreciated.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

There are 100% cotton rag boards(level1) that come in solid black.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

You're very welcome, Will.

Jerome - you're absolutely right about solid black Level 1 boards, but my reading of it was that in this case the customer had chosen a coloured board with a black core.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022