Fabric print in a frame...most suitable method?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

Fabric print in a frame...most suitable method?

Post by daveym »

I have a fabric print that I wish to apply directly onto the backing board of a 12"x10" frame. I have a thin layer of 5mm sponge under the fabric.

I could use just fabric glue to apply both of these, but think using a staple gun might be a better option for a long term hold. I'm thinking of using fabric glue just along the edges to get some hold then staple into the frame from the back of the backing board but trying to get the staple into the narrow rebate of the frame. I don't know if this is even possible with standard heavy duty staple guns. Do any allow for tight areas and if stapling into a 5mm area of the rebate?

If I were to staple onto the fabric from the inside of the frame I would need to use a hammer or something to flatten out the pretruding staple on the back of the frame and this might look a little messy.

Are there any other methods of doing this where there isn't a large cost to it. I don't know if these fabric prints will even sell so don't want to spend too heavily on equipment.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Fabric print in a frame...most suitable method?

Post by Justintime »

Again, I'm not sure how many replies you will get, asking a group of framers how to bodge something. To frame your pieces well will cost money in materials, equipment, knowledge. It will also add value to your work and ensure its longevity. If it is of no great value, then I would suggest that you seek out a local framer/signwriting company who will be able to drymount your work to a suitable board, which you can pop in a frame of your choice. Job done. There will be a cost for this, as there is a cost for labour, materials, equipment, overheads, tea and biscuits, a living wage etc...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Re: Fabric print in a frame...most suitable method?

Post by prospero »

I have in the past mounted fabrics to board by pre-mounting drymount FILM to the board, leaving the release paper on top (You could use sticky mounting board, but I didn't have any).
When the board has cooled, peel the release paper and smooth/position the fabric onto the sticky surface.
Put it back in the press and give it a quick squeeze. Literally bring the press up to pressure and then take it out. It will not bond completely doing this but it will hold sufficiently. This also also allows the fabric to be peeled off later if need be. Unlike paper, fabric doesn't expand with humidity so you don't have to worry about it bubbling.

Reducing the heat/pressure might be a good thing. If it doesn't stick then you can always give it another go. :wink:

** If you haven't got a press then a cool iron might do it, but don't quote me. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About