Mount chevron display

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
nolonstacey
Organisation: The Nolon Stacey Gallery
Interests: Artist

Mount chevron display

Post by nolonstacey »

Hi,
I just wondered whether anyone knows where you can get mount chevron display stands? I tend to see them in the background of lots of photos of framers studios, but can't actually find anyone who sells them. I know Lion do one, but it's very much Lion logo'd and tiered. I'm looking for a table top version similar to the attached (which appears to be Larson, but they don't seem to sell them either).
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 12.09.15.png
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Re: Mount chevron display

Post by Fruitini »

I couldn’t find any either when I was looking so decided to make my own. It’s not very complicated really although I can’t remember exactly how I did it!!! :lol: If you can frame you should be able to figure out!! A few batons cut at the right angles, a bit of MDF tacked to it and a lick of paint! You can make them as long as you want then!! Just remember the top angle is more than 90 degrees to enable the chevrons to lie back a bit, this generally allows all colours to be slightly visible.
5E5FB731-5C7A-4B9A-A379-78BE5FA668A6.jpeg
3E2694D7-488A-47D4-AB68-79DDC730469F.jpeg
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

It used to be a standard thing with a set of chevrons (years ago). Then all the suppliers started to offer self-assembly cardboard ones that didn't last 5 minutes. Now they don't offer anything! It's called progress . . .

I have also made my own, not very complicated, and it has lasted for years.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
nolonstacey

Post by nolonstacey »

Fruitini wrote: Tue 03 Jan, 2023 12:39 pm I couldn’t find any either when I was looking so decided to make my own.
Looks simple enough and exactly what I have in mind! Thanks for the 'larger than 90 degrees' tip - I would have made it 90 degrees before realising!!
Gesso&Bole wrote: Tue 03 Jan, 2023 4:36 pm It used to be a standard thing with a set of chevrons (years ago). Then all the suppliers started to offer self-assembly cardboard ones that didn't last 5 minutes. Now they don't offer anything! It's called progress . . .
That's interesting. I do have a cardboard one from Larson but I don't even have that out as it doesn't look good. At the moment I have my mount chevrons loose under the counter, so pull them out when I need them.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Just before Christmas I got a full set of the Larson Juhl samples and it came with a fairly sturdy acrylic stand.
nolonstacey

Post by nolonstacey »

StevenG wrote: Wed 04 Jan, 2023 11:18 am Just before Christmas I got a full set of the Larson Juhl samples and it came with a fairly sturdy acrylic stand.
I got a full set from Larson a couple of months earlier and they came with a very flimsy cardboard stand!
nolonstacey

Post by nolonstacey »

Not your average framer wrote: Wed 04 Jan, 2023 1:06 pm I been using a couple of older perspex ones for Neilsen Bainbrige and Colourmonts, which to me look a bit naff, but I intend to make my own from some nicely stained pine mouldings soon. I like to include a few double mounts with hand painted inner mounts as well and a few smaller and large mount widths to show customers what different widths look lake, as you can't easily always adequatele explain.
Mark, I do the same thing - I have some different widths, and double mounts, v-grooves, etc.

So LARSON JUHL do still sell them - they just informed me it's product code 999001023. if you got that for free StevenG, you did alright!
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Hi Nolon, yes I got for free :) I just asked the rep - actually I didn't know there might be a charge!! The one I have is slightly different, at the top where it bends/folds there's a bit of reinforcement, I guess the original design may have had a weak spot