Sticking prints down..

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
phil3059
Organisation: CS Frames
Interests: Walking, gardening,

Sticking prints down..

Post by phil3059 »

Hi.. I've been using extra tac to stick down large prints, I was thinking a laminator may do the job better than rolling by hand... any help on this topic would be appreciated.. thanks
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Re: Sticking prints down..

Post by JonathanB »

Trying to stick prints to boards using self adhesive boards and a hand roller is tricky at the best of times and doesn't always bring good results. You need to be able to apply firm, even pressure across the whole board, which isn't always easy. The bells and whistles approach would be to get hold of a vacuum press, available via Wessex Pictures in Oldham, which uses a combination of vacuum pressure and heat to stick the photo to a suitable board. They're great machines but not cheap and they do come up second hand on the Forum from time to time. I've got a Jetmounter, which is a motorised tabletop laminator, which relies purely on pressure to bond the photograph to a backing board using a pressure sensitive film. There are lots available second hand and they're easy and economical to use. I would suggest you contact Steve Goodall , the manager at Oldham, who is the go-to authority on these machines. He'll be able to advise you, and very often knows where second hand equipment is to be found.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

All down to funds of course, but the vacuum press is a great tool for the job you describe, and they come up regularly on the Forum. It's that bit of kit that takes a while to return the investment, but retains it's value anyway. Importantly it allows you to do stuff that others cannot. I've just proved the point this weekend by gingerly lifting a spray mounted print that had lifted and gone wavy before popping it in the hot press. I might have just been lucky on the removal though. You will usually get a selection of materials if you buy used, and I don't think any of them ever get a real hammering.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I second speaking to Steve Goodall, he is the expert and also the trainer for Hotpress on these machines. If you're not in a hurry, they come up occasionally in the hundreds, otherwise you're looking at £1500+.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer