Extra large painting to frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
bang
Organisation: Barry Allan Scott Fine Art
Interests: Drawing, painting, sculpture, hiking, camping, kayaking.

Extra large painting to frame

Post by bang »

I have been asked to frame a large painting.

It's 150cm long and 95 cm wide.

I've not framed something so large before and I think it's going to cause me some problems. For a start, I won't be able to cut the mount for it on my machine!

I said I'd get back to the customer with a proper quote. What's the best way to deal with this? Is there I company I can get the acrylic from and the mount cut to size for me?

Thanks!!
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Extra large painting to frame

Post by pramsay13 »

Is it a painting on canvas? If so you can just make the frame and not have a mount or glazing.
If it's actually paper at that size I would be offering a wide wooden slip that gives the impression of a mount, rather than an actual mount as it is too big for my machines also and I've struggled before to find someone to cut oversize mounts.
I normally order in acrylic cut to size from Centrado.
prospero

Post by prospero »

There are sneaky ways I've used in the past to get around this. :wink:

One is to use a slip as a mount and slightly raise the back edge of the slip to avoid crimping the edges which will
restrict movement. Hard to explain in words, here's a piccy........
raisedslipmat001.jpg
raisedslipmat001.jpg (5.48 KiB) Viewed 12703 times
You hinge the piece onto a board in the time-honoured manner.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Post by prospero »

If you want the look of a mount you could do something like this....

This was a charcoal drawing on mountboard which being more rigid than paper did not need a traditional mount.
I used a very narrow moulding as a spacer and then did a flat wood panel as 'mount' that surrounded it. The outer frame
goes around the lot. The good thing is that the glass only needs to cover the art/spacer. I did one which was done on a
full sheet of mountboard. It was a heavy beast but it would have been about 30% heavier if the glass had to cover a
traditional mount.
bighoss001.jpg
bang

Post by bang »

Thank you very much for those replies! I very much like the wooden slip idea, and the raised edge to help restrict movement.

I'm sweating a little bit because I was thinking of using jumbo foam board as a backing, looks like I need to buy it in a pack of fifteen!! Urgh!
bang

Post by bang »

Apologies, I meant to add that it's a painting on paper. It's not on canvas...
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

bang wrote: Sun 05 Feb, 2023 9:57 pm Thank you very much for those replies! I very much like the wooden slip idea, and the raised edge to help restrict movement.

I'm sweating a little bit because I was thinking of using jumbo foam board as a backing, looks like I need to buy it in a pack of fifteen!! Urgh!

You can splice standard sized boards and tape them together, be it mount board, foam board or any other board.

You could make an 8 ply board by splicing 4 boards with the top two spliced vertically and the other two horizontally, or both same direction but staggered - then bond the two together with diluted PVA applied with a mini roller.

If the join behind the artwork is an issue, then jumbo mountboard and spliced backing
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
prospero

Post by prospero »

bang wrote: Sun 05 Feb, 2023 9:57 pm Thank you very much for those replies! I very much like the wooden slip idea, and the raised edge to help restrict movement.
It's not to restrict movement, just the opposite. If (when) the paper expands/contracts it can move freely and not go wavy.
It should be hinged at the top with a few loose hinges at the sides/bottom that have a bit of 'give'.

Splicing foamcore is fine. It's an idea to use two layers of 3mm glued together with the splices staggered. :wink:
Jon_Brooke
Organisation: Picture Frame Workshop
Interests: Running

Post by Jon_Brooke »

Wessex FIne Art will cut a pretty big mount for you and include it with a van drop order if you buy from Wessex. Also will cut pretty big bits of acrylic.
bang

Post by bang »

Thanks, I know what you mean about the mount crimping the work. I hadn't thought of that, 👍 but I generally use photo corners reinforced with some conservation tape or I hinge the art as you mention.

Originally I thought you meant adding a certain rigidity to the mount or frame.

I'm going to try centrado for the sheet material. They don't seem to have the usual quantity limits I'm running into with my regular suppliers.
bang

Post by bang »

JKX wrote: Sun 05 Feb, 2023 10:25 pm You can splice standard sized boards and tape them together, be it mount board, foam board or any other board.

You could make an 8 ply board by splicing 4 boards with the top two spliced vertically and the other two horizontally, or both same direction but staggered - then bond the two together

Thanks for the splicing idea! I'll keep it in mind!