Get help and framing advice from the framing community
sydframer
Organisation: BSMT
Interests: Framing
Art Conservation

Build Up Frame to Hold Canvas?!

Post by sydframer »

Hi! Looking for some advice!

I have recently received a canvas with 3.5cm stretchers that the client wants putting into a frame with a 1.5cm inner rebate. They don't want to see it sticking out the back so asked me to build up the frame to create a box deep enough to hold the canvas. Any tips on how I could go about this? The frame they want is a 9cm face so my best idea so far is to make a frame from a deeper moulding in the same colour to the size of the outer edge and stick them together and then frame as normal at the back. But has anyone got any better ideas?
Thanks! :D
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Re: Build Up Frame to Hold Canvas?!

Post by Fruitini »

Re-stretch the canvas on standard stretcher bars would only give you 5mm sticking out. Is that still too much? Or rip some stretcher bar moulding to the right thickness?
prospero

Re: Build Up Frame to Hold Canvas?!

Post by prospero »

Wessex (and others) do a subframe moulding that is also handy for building up backs of frames.
It is maybe 20mm thick with a 45º bevel. If you mitre it 'wrong way' and fix it to the back it's not
really noticeable but it does block the view of the sticky-our canvas. Paint it black for best effect.

But if it's relatively small, re-stretch it on shallower bars previously suggested.

I have one at the moment of 40mm deep canvas that the customer wants done with a deep scoop - and a liner. :?
They also have a width limit of the moulding of around 3". I am presently trying to concoct a design using profiles
that will work. The canvas is BIG. I'm using a 4" wide piece of skirting board to cap the end. I'll post a piccy later.... :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About