Cassese Cartridge wedges

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Cassese Cartridge wedges

Post by fitz »

Hi,

I have a CS1 Cart underpinner and whilst it has its foibles and temperaments I am pretty happy with how it performs. I took advice on here some time ago to instead of buying the cartridges refill them with other types such as Alfamacchine wedges etc. I did this for a while and whilst it is cheaper I have found that using ‘other’ wedges creates some firing problems from time to time and the underpinner performs best with the proper cartridges. Now I’m back to purchasing cassese cartridges and the question I would like to ask is ‘does it really matter if you use the hardwood wedges for hardwoods and the softwood wedges for softwood?’ I don’t think I have really bothered to switch cartridges when pinning different types of wood before and haven’t noticed any particular problem. Can anyone suggest why I should switch, what the benefits may be? Thanks.
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Cassese Cartridge wedges

Post by JKX »

I used both but sometimes forgot to switch, usually with no issue but not always!

I just assumed these things are made for a reason and evolved over time and I conformed!

This is from the casesse website, it seems it’s a case of suck it and see!

“Always try the softwood wedges (white wedge pusher) first, even on hardwood mouldings. You will hence get an optimal result. If the wedge really cannot penetrate or comes out of the back of the moulding, then try the hardwood wedges (yellow wedge pusher) If you are using MDF mouldings try first hardwood, if the wedge cannot penetrate or comes out of the back of the moulding, then try MDF wedges (red wedge pusher)”

I’d add that other things can tell you you’re using the wrong type of wedge, like gapping and bulging, plus the obvious effort required sometimes, manual or pneumatic, which can shorten the life of components.

BTW, if you think these are expensive, do two things, price them per frame and then, wait until Simons have a sundries sale and buy at least enough to last until the next one. Last time I checked, their normal list price was almost half of A.N Ofher supplier anyway!
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

When do you know when they are having a sundries sale?
Thanks
JKX
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

If you have an account you'll get an email/newsletter, and/or your rep will tell you.
You have to quote something when ordering - it's usually something like " Sundries Summer Special"
Not sure about if you don't have an account.

Currently one box of 1650 10mm (hard or soft wood) from Simons is £10:30 and A.N. Other well known supplier is £22:93!!
John Turner

Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Post by Fruitini »

Plastic coated wire also a tremendous price at Simons currently in comparison. £14.50 compared to £32!
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

Thanks i will look out for there e-mail
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Post by fitz »

Thanks for the info John. I gather you may be retired now but much appreciated that you’re willing to use your years of experience to help others👏
JKX

Post by JKX »

I can only assume the Simons sales and even the newsletters are still a thing. I can still log in to my accounts with many suppliers, even after telling them all we closed, so can see prices etc.
Emails have stopped though, used the unsubscribe! The newsletters came with their emailed statements.
John Turner

Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Our Simons rep visited last Thursday, and said their special offers on sundries are on at the moment.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Our Simons rep visited last Thursday, and said their special offers on sundries are on at the moment.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
prospero

Post by prospero »

I refill Cassese cartridges, but use Cassese 'Uni' wedges. Never a problem. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
JKX

Post by JKX »

I had an old pneumatic Euro underpinner - well. I bought it new and it became old in my possession! I didn’t care what I put in that eventually.

I replaced it with a new cassesse 200 and didn’t want to fanny about with penny pinching wedge chute refilling, as I knew I’d probably be selling it a couple of years later, plus I!d done as I said above anyway - bought in bulk from simons at a great price , I think I only ever made two orders!
John Turner