UV / Fade protection

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Parm
Organisation: Studios
Interests: Classic car restoration

UV / Fade protection

Post by Parm »

Hi all! I’ve been asked to make a display box for a signed tennis ball. My customer has asked for it to be protected from fading. Is there a spray I should use? Or will I have to use Art Glass or similar? Thanks in advance!😊
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Re: UV / Fade protection

Post by JonathanB »

Hi Parm - never heard of a spray or treatment and in any event you should not be looking to alter the article in any way. Simply glaze with UV99 conservation glass or, for a better finish, suggest an anti-reflective glass with a 99% UV filter, sometimes referred to as museum glass. Both ArtGlass and TruVue offer very similar products. Wessex Pictures will cut to size if you don’t want to buy full sheets, which are expensive. When framing signed sports memorabilia, I always assume the signature will fade and go for the best. If a client declines, I make sure they sign a disclaimer on my order form to say they’ve been appropriately advised.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Parm
Organisation: Studios
Interests: Classic car restoration

Post by Parm »

Thank you!😊
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Postscript:

If anything is signed with a standard "Magicmarker®" or other basic felt tipped marker. They are made with dyes and not pigments. The signature will fade even without the presence of any light. The full spectrum of light will fad objects, with the ultra violet portion being the most damaging.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
prospero

Post by prospero »

As Jerome says, if it's signed with a marker pen then it is likely to fade. UV glass might slow the process but
ultimately will not stop fading.

This is something you should impress on you customer. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
bang
Organisation: Barry Allan Scott Fine Art
Interests: Drawing, painting, sculpture, hiking, camping, kayaking.

Post by bang »

I agree with the comments above, not tampering with the ball etc, and the possibility of the ink fading anyway...

Though for reference, golden make an MSA varnish in different finishes with a UV inhibitor in it for artists. Like most of their products it's excellent but expensive.

Krylon also make a spray that was originally used for stopping objects in shop window displays from fading in the light.