80mm (rebate) tray frame?!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Martock
Organisation: Martock Gallery
Interests: Picture framing, handcrafting mirrors and gifts

80mm (rebate) tray frame?!

Post by Martock »

Morning all. We need to frame a deep stretched canvas onto a digital print. Overall size will be 1500 mm square x 80 mm deep. It will be hung in a public space and the customer would prefer an open tray frame. I can’t find anything deep enough - any ideas please?
prospero

Re: 80mm (rebate) tray frame?!

Post by prospero »

I don't think you will find a commercially available finished moulding suitable so you will maybe have to
make one using plain wood. The big DIY sheds carry a variety of planed wood which is a higher grade than
the 'cooking' grade constructional timber. It's pricey but generally knot-free and straight. Unless you are going
for a 'rustic' look when slightly rough stuff would serve. Alternatively a timber merchant would no doubt run you
up some in Oak or Ash or other hardwood to exact dimensions. Even more pricy.
Once you have a flat piece all you need to do is fabricate a shelf at the back to fix the canvas to. 100mm deep
with a 20mm shelf would give you the 80mm depth you need.

I don't know what finish you had in mind, but for a natural wood with a nice grain staining and varnishing would be the way.
Or you could use Softwood (Pine) and paint it.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Martock
Organisation: Martock Gallery
Interests: Picture framing, handcrafting mirrors and gifts

Re: 80mm (rebate) tray frame?!

Post by Martock »

Thank you for taking the time to respond - that’s the conclusion we had come too, but thought it worth asking just in case!