dry mounting on a large scale... perthshire?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
bang
Organisation: Barry Allan Scott Fine Art
Interests: Drawing, painting, sculpture, hiking, camping, kayaking.

dry mounting on a large scale... perthshire?

Post by bang »

Hi everyone,

I'm framing 2 prints that are both 1.5 metres long and 65cm tall.

I'd like to flatten the print as much as possible and have them on rigid board to make life easier.

Anyone out there know of dry mounting services for things that big in the Perthshire area? Or if it's even possible for that size?

I've spoken to a sign maker who uses a different process... which he thought seemed unsuitable.

I suppose spray mount would be a workaround, but it's nasty stuff and I'm not 100% sure that the gunk won't stain/show through the thin paper of the print.

I'll probably have to tape it and try pass throughs to stop the static of the acrylic pulling the paper towards it!

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated!!
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Re: dry mounting on a large scale... perthshire?

Post by Fruitini »

A jumbo Hotpress vacuum press (HGP360) will handle that no problem. Working area up to 170cm ish so definitely possible. No idea if there is one near you tho!
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

"theoretically" this would actually go through a "tiny" Jetmounter JM26 - (max width 670mm) - assuming you set it up to run straight. Failing that a Jetmounter JM34 would definitely handle this.

Then again a big vacuum would do the job too.
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Post by fitz »

I’ve just completed a batch of prints (A1) and each one was backed onto 2.8mm conservation board. They are for an exhibition at Glasgow University and the ‘student’ couldn’t afford frames. This is a fairly rigid board and will under normal situations remain flat. I used my jet mount/cold mount laminator and twin release adhesive. Worked a treat. If your customer is happy to have the prints cold mounted this way I think this would be a solution for you. The machine I have can handle up to 66\67 cms wide. I’m in Dunning, Perthshire.
Steve Goodall

Post by Steve Goodall »

Well volunteered that man!!! :clap:
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566
fitz

Post by fitz »

Thanks Steve.. I think I bought the machine from Wessex? I would certainly avoid Spraymount though?
Steve Goodall

Post by Steve Goodall »

Oh definitely - sprays are NEVER a good idea - just a "bodge" for those who don't have the right kit.
bang

Post by bang »

fitz wrote: Sat 22 Apr, 2023 10:30 pm I’ve just completed a batch of prints (A1) and each one was backed onto 2.8mm conservation board. They are for an exhibition at Glasgow University and the ‘student’ couldn’t afford frames. This is a fairly rigid board and will under normal situations remain flat. I used my jet mount/cold mount laminator and twin release adhesive. Worked a treat. If your customer is happy to have the prints cold mounted this way I think this would be a solution for you. The machine I have can handle up to 66\67 cms wide. I’m in Dunning, Perthshire.
That's brilliant! Thank you!

I'm pretty near you too.

The first two prints had a few small oil spots on them. So I've asked for another two, which should be delivered next week.

Do you have sufficient lengths of the board etc I can pay you for?

What's the best way to contact you to work on this?

Thanks again, Fitz!!
bang

Post by bang »

Steve Goodall wrote: Sun 23 Apr, 2023 7:38 am Oh definitely - sprays are NEVER a good idea - just a "bodge" for those who don't have the right kit.
Yeah! It's horrible stuff! I had to use it in my student days... urgh... that, and cowgum.
fitz

Post by fitz »

I’ve emailed you Barry with more specifics.