STRAIGHT CUTTING WITH NEW FUTURA

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
CreativePhotographer
Organisation: Anna Briggs Creative Photography
Interests: Dogs, creative photography and walking..... lots of walking!!

STRAIGHT CUTTING WITH NEW FUTURA

Post by CreativePhotographer »

Good morning! Hopefully this will be a simple one.. straight cutting - I'm using a double 012 blade (mount is colourfast C3975 so not a particularly stubborn mount? And this was the default blade when I received the machine). But it's not cutting through in one go. I swapped it for a single 012 and then back to a new double 012 but it's still not cutting through in one. Should I swop the blade to a 15? I'm doing all the right things so not really sure. I'm not all that strong and on occasion when it has cut through, i can feel it. Advice very welcome please as I have my first mount order!🫠

Sent from BlueMail
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Re: STRAIGHT CUTTING WITH NEW FUTURA

Post by Chris_h »

When you say straight cutting do you mean just cutting the boards to size, if so it sounds like you are using the wrong blade. I use a medium Stanley style blade and if it doesn't cut throughin one you just increase the depth of the blade. Only really thick boards do I not cut through in one go.

If it's for the window mount you are struggling with then change the blade, fresh slip mat and just increase the blade depth.
CreativePhotographer

Thanks for reply Chris - all makes sense.. I have lengthened blade and all tickety boo.. I need to have more confidence in myself.. day by day I'm learning more and more, this can only be a good thing... I'll get there!😁😁😁
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I recommend reading through the manual again. Keencut are very specific about which blade to use for what type of board. But yes, as said, if it's a straight cut, you shouldn't even be using the 012 or 015 blades...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

If you haven't seen them yet, check out David Wilkie's excellent series of videos on the Keencut website - covers just about everything you need to know.
https://www.keencut.com/video/mount-cutter-overview/
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
CreativePhotographer

Many thanks for suggestions! :D
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

Not sure what is happening here? If the board is a regular thickness, around 1.5mm the double 012 blade should be fine, it's what I generally use. Normally if it's not cutting through just extend the blade until it is cutting about half way through the slip mat, I assume you are using a slip under the mountboard? Only other things to check, that there is nothing holding the clamping arm up and that you are not pressing on the lifting arm while cutting. Otherwise I'm struggling??
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

David wrote: Thu 27 Apr, 2023 1:22 am Not sure what is happening here? If the board is a regular thickness, around 1.5mm the double 012 blade should be fine, it's what I generally use. Normally if it's not cutting through just extend the blade until it is cutting about half way through the slip mat, I assume you are using a slip under the mountboard?
The OP was asking about straight cutting boards to size so slip mat not relevant. Anyway I think the problem has been resolved by extending the blade enough to cut through the board. Nonetheless, I and others have suggested that your videos on keencut.com will answer virtually anything she needs to know about basic mountcutting on the Futura.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/