Apperture sizing of Mount

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
CreativePhotographer
Organisation: Anna Briggs Creative Photography
Interests: Dogs, creative photography and walking..... lots of walking!!

Apperture sizing of Mount

Post by CreativePhotographer »

Hello there.... OK... I have a frame and I have an image. This may seem like a really simple question (my apols as I'm a little dyslexic where maths is concerned) but is there a full proof and easy way to calcuate the size of the apperture?
No hurry for replies as I know it's a BH weekend!
Thank you.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Apperture sizing of Mount

Post by StevenG »

Well, the easiest way (as far as I know) is to measure the size of the frame opening (rebate sizes), measure the size of the image. Subtract the image size from the framing opening size. Divide the answer by 2 & that will give you the border width(s). Obviously don't make the aperture the exact size of the image or it'll just fall though :) I mean, if the image width is 100mm just base your math on 90mm etc etc.

Do this calculation separately for width/height

Hope that makes sense
whitbyframer
Organisation: Whitby Picture Framing
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Post by whitbyframer »

You could just place the image in the middle of the frame and then measure all four sides to calculate the size of the mount that you would need.
CreativePhotographer
Organisation: Anna Briggs Creative Photography
Interests: Dogs, creative photography and walking..... lots of walking!!

Post by CreativePhotographer »

Thanks for replies both. I'm not sure what I've done wrong as I thought my measurements were spot on (I think some weird calculation happened in my head)! Need to revisit my thought processes..... I'll get there....Thank you though! :D