Second hand mount cutter advice

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Second hand mount cutter advice

Post by WannabeFramer »

Happy Sunday morning, it is pondering/mooching time.

I have a Logan Artist Elite, which has been fine for my purposes until now, but I can see the limitations moving forward and would like to upgrade when funds allow.

I am on a training day soon and will get to try a Keencut in the flesh. :-)

I have been looking at second hand Keencuts on eBay, they seem to be £500-£600 mark and none anywhere near me as yet (central Wales). There is also a Fletcher 2100 on eBay now, starting bidding at £40 but I know nothing about these. I am clueless as to what is a fair price.

Are there any pointers in what to look for, or specifically check, on a second hand cutter? Points that wear out and will cost later down the line? Crucial bits that can be missing? I can look through instruction manuals to see what should be included as a start. Any worthwhile add-ons to look out for?

I am not intending to be high-volume, but I do want more controllability and accuracy than my Logan (eyeballing over/undercuts specifically). And a squaring arm, the lack of one at the moment is annoying.

Any hints and/or tips very much appreciated as always. Thanks :-)
WannabeFramer

Re: Second hand mount cutter advice

Post by WannabeFramer »

Just to add, I’m not in a huge rush and the Logan is ‘ok’ and I get the results, but I am keeping an eye out for something better if one turns up. So doing my research now.
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

Keencut versus fletcher....

All but the latest keencut - the futura, have nylon bearings. The fletcher has ball bearings and it also has blade magazines, so you can set a spare up for thicker board whereas the keencut would need to be adjusted and then re-adjusted. The keen cut ultimat gold has the ability to "dial out" over and under cuts. The keen cut (non gold, so it has purple bits where the keencut has gold bits!) was replaced by the gold a long time ago so a regularly used one will be WELL used!

The futura has the best of the fletcher and the keencut gold - it has ball bearings, blade magazines and can dial out over/under cuts.

Keencut, based in Northants, have excellent support and customner service - I don't know where you would get fletcher spares and support from, but Lion sell them and have a technical support desk.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thank you JKX, that is super helpful! :-)

Janine
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Just an update. After a bit of looking around, I have now got me an Ultimat Gold and LOVE it. Thanks for your help. :-)
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

Excellent, I’m very happy for you.

There’s some good videos here by David Wilkie, who is a member here and all round top geezer.

It’s on the futura but that’s fine, all bar some nitty gritties are the same.

https://www.keencut.com/support/keencut ... sterclass/

John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thanks John, really helpful as always 8)