Thoughts on methods of stretching cross stitches

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
AtelierFrames
Organisation: Atelier Frames
Interests: Arts, crafts, sports, outdoors

Thoughts on methods of stretching cross stitches

Post by AtelierFrames »

Just wondering on how other framers stretch cross stitches for framing. I have been lacing them on the back, but I attended a cross stitch event this weekend and was speaking to a lady who runs a cross stitch sampler guild. She was saying the correct way to lace is to lace a pice of linen on to a piece of mountboard first and then stretch and tack stitch the cross stitch fabric to the piece of linen. I understand why as there would be less tension on the original work helping to preserve it over time, but until I try this method I am unsure how you would get the right tension all the way round.

She also said a more effective way is to lay the cross stitch over a piece of foam board and use aluminium t-pins to stretch and hold it in place, pushing the pins into the edge of the foam core. She said aluminium pins so they don't rust and damage the fabric, but I have yet to see any such pins. I know you can can nickle coated t- pins which are used in upholstry and crafting and the write up says they are rust proof!

I'd be interested in others views on these methods.

Thanks in advance
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Thoughts on methods of stretching cross stitches

Post by JKX »

It's a bit late but three questions for now.

How do you stitch something on to fabric already laced over board, let alone stretch it as well?

Have you googled aluminium T pins?

Would you, as a framer, try to advise the lady and her "guild" how to stitch?
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
JKX
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

Sewing pieces to “donor fabric” such as linen and THEN lacing that, is indeed a thing, but normally used on old and/or fragile pieces that would probably rip if laced directly.

Most newly stitched pieces, be they cross stitch or any other type of embroidery, come with enough excess fabric to lace and if not then extensions may be sewn on. I used to like having extensions sewn on anyway, so that they are only a couple of inches apart at the back to make for much faster lacing. Some things are done on delicate fabrics like silk, which would heed either extensions or donor fabric if laced or pinned.

Pinning to foam board is also a thing, but not for me or many others as it’s usually just unnecessary bulk inside the frame and also not as good conservation quality as good conservation mount board; it’s brittle and it crushes. I could be wrong but aluminium T pins don’t exist, I’ve heard of, but never found solid stainless steel ones and many nickel coated ones have one cut end uncoated. In most applications they are designed for, they are temporary.

I gave a couple of talks to embroiderers guilds who had some odd ideas before I came along - both insisted glazing should not be used for example.

The Royal School of Needlework’s method of preparation for framing/display is amongst the worst I’ve ever seen and involves masking tape, greyboard and copydex!

Like most artists, stitchers should stick to what they’re good at, stitching!
John Turner

Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I attach a piece of rag board to the face of the foamboard before lacing. I agree with John, although stainless steel pins and T pins are available as we use them. On occasion, I use the Newberry/Newbury(?) technique. The foamboard is cut to glass size, a straight not bevelled window is cut in the foamboard, the piece pinned around the foamboard and reinserted into the hole, with a rag board window mount over the top.
Tudor Rose is the expert on this as she is one of a few accredited with the Advanced Textiles certification.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
AtelierFrames
Organisation: Atelier Frames
Interests: Arts, crafts, sports, outdoors

Post by AtelierFrames »

Thank you John and Justin for taking the time to respond.

John - I hear what you are saying about stitchers stitch and let framers frame 😀. I am always open to different ways of working, providing it doesn't compromise the quality of the finished work. Stitching extensions to lessen the gap at the back sounds like something I may try and I imagine it will be less frustrating with thread knotting on itself.

Justin- I'd not heard of the technique you mention and again I think will try this with a spare piece of fabric just to see how it goes.

Thanks again both 👍
JKX

Post by JKX »

Here's a lockdown video I did. Given my time over, with the amount of views and subscribers it got, my youtube channel would be a lot different!

John Turner