Admeco dry mounting (hard bed) press

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
w_kelly
Organisation: williamkellyphotography
Interests: Photography, art, framing

Admeco dry mounting (hard bed) press

Post by w_kelly »

Hi all,
I am a rookie framer/photographer. I have just recently purchased one of those old Ademco dry mounting press'. It seems to be in fairly good nick, although I am having problems achieving results.
Whenever I remove my prints there are rough marks left on the surface. They nearly appear to be burn marks (is it melting the resin coating on the photopaper maybe?)
Could it be that the Dry mounting machine is on too high? (as the silicone release paper is usually marked, and you can see an outline on the paper from where the photo and mount card was)
Has anyone used one of these machines before? I would be eternally grateful if anyone could offer some advice. It is quite frustrating seeing all my prints getting marked.
Also should I be using a new piece of silicone release paper each time?
Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
William
prospero

Re: Admeco dry mounting (hard bed) press

Post by prospero »

Hi William. :D

I've got one of these 'old' presses. I bought it new. :lol:

What's the temp gauge reading? Should be about 80-85c for photos. To get this on mine the temp knob should be pointing to about 3-o-clock.

I like to use a new bit of release paper each time. Although, if you are doing a few prints you can get a bit more mileage out of it by doing the big ones first then you don't have to have the outline crease over the smaller ones.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
w_kelly

Post by w_kelly »

Excellent Prospero, I think I had it at about four o clock. Good advice on the release paper I will give that a shot now. How about time? Is about eight minutes right?
Also is it is necessary to use a pierced heatseal film or is non acidic adhesive film ok?
Thanks again,
William
prospero

Post by prospero »

For simple drymounting 30 seconds should be enough. Heatsealing needs a bit of extra cooking. Give it a couple of minutes and take the photo out and look for 'silvery' bits. If their are any it will need a bit longer.

Not really with you on
Also is it is necessary to use a pierced heatseal film or is non acidic adhesive film ok?
Two different procedures. But both need piercing as a general rule.

btw. Are you using a foam blanket on top of the release paper?
w_kelly

Post by w_kelly »

Hey, no, I am not using a foam blanket. Sounds like that might be why I am getting these marks. Where could I pick one up? And you say it is better to pierce the film?
This is all good stuff, thanks again. I'm learning the hard way, which is also the costly way unfortunately. But this advice should steer me in the right direction.
Also do you lock the wheel in as hard as you can or just until there is resistance?
Apologies for all the questions,
William
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Why not go on a Hotpress course? http://www.hotpress.co.uk/

It is free and all the principles are the same except you do not have such fine control over temperature and pressure. Foam blanket available form any wholesaler selling Hotpress supplies.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I have always used a foam blanket in the hardbed press. It evens out the heat and pressure. Boards are not perfectly flat. They have hills and hollows.

Screw down the wheel as much as it seems comfortable. If you try to exert too much force and you are doing a lot of mounting in a day, you will have a sore wrist the next day. :? I still have my hb press even though I rarely use it. I keep it for the occasional oversize job and for a backup. I know that if I sell it, the vac press will pack up shortly after. Also I can't shift it myself. :lol:
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

Hi William - Prospero has given some sound advice here & indeed I stuck my "very first picture ever - in the whole wide world" down in a hardbed press in 1979 (don't get me started on the nostalgia thing)....

They are great machines & I regret to say we stoppped selling them over ten years ago now - due to falling numbers against vacuum presses - but I am still a firm fan of the "london bus wheel" press!!!

Please drop me an email with your contact details to stevegoodall@hotpress.co.uk & I will put together an information pack / samples / training DVD that will get you up & running....

...We also need to do a school in Northern Ireland again soon - so let me know if you want to go on the "guest list" & we can get things moving...

anyone else in the north (Rolf) who needs more help - also drop me a line & we can probably arrange a day at A&T in Belfast - nice folk & very well organised!!!

Mr Hot Press at Twitter & all good wholesalers...
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566
w_kelly

Post by w_kelly »

Guys, thank you so much for the feedback, its been great! And very productive!
By the end of last night I was getting satisfactory results (but there is still a long way to go yet) and I think I will invest in one of these foam blankets you speak of.
I would love to go on one of the training days, although I never get the time to cross the water. If it were to come to Belfast or Dublin though I would be more than delighted to attend. No better way to learn and Steve thanks a million, I'll drop you a mail in the morning, any kind of information is good information for me. I'm om a steep learning curve at the minute, which is rewarding in some ways as small achievements feel like they are earned, but they are usually quite costly with regards to materials.
Thanks again everyone for your feedback.
William
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Hey Steve,
I obtained one of those "bus wheel", 'boat anchor" hot presses a while back and haven't used it yet apart from some fabric mat wraps. I don't suppose you could supply me with one of those "learner packs" could you???

If so, maybe you could bring it to Sydney with you?

Thanks, in eager anticipation!
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

Hey Nigel,

It would be easier to put a pack in the post to you. My suitcae will be full of framed samples on the way to Sydney...

Just drop me an email to my work email shown below & we will put a pack together for you - FREE - of course.

I am really looking forward to the Sydney trip - Megawood are a great crowd to work with!!!
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566