Cutting MDF

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
savage
Organisation: Home
Interests: Printing, photography, memorabillia,

Cutting MDF

Post by savage »

Hi all

What is the best method for cutting 2mm MDF to size?

I have completed a framing course and we used a wall mounted cutter for both the MDF and glass.

I need a cheaper way to start up.
I was told that one has to be careful as cutting MDF can be hazardous to health?

I have an Ultimat gold which I believe can manage some boards?
Is there an attachment that could manage the MDF/Glass?
Is there a guillotine perhaps that would do the job?

Any advice greatly received,

BR
Tony
Roboframer

Re: Cutting MDF

Post by Roboframer »

What I used to do before I had a wall mounted cutter (and before I dropped MDF anyway), was to use the glass or the mount as a template, draw around that on to the MDF with a sharpie and then score it with a Stanley knife. You only have to score it to about a third of the depth and then snap it from the other side.

There's no real hazard to health at the average framer's level of use, it's mainly in the manufacturing or with heavy use that causes a lot of dust.

No attachment for either MDF or glass for the ulitimat, but it will cut foam board and artbak type boards, which are lighter and better choices.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

L square and a decent stanley knife,keep the blade sharp, score once lightly then the blade will run in the score a couple more cuts and you'll be there, job done. you'll get to know where you are cut wise by the sound it makes , same with glass cutting, its all about how it sounds :D
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Before I had a wall mounted sheet material cutter I cut glass on a bench with carpet covering it using a hand held cutter and a T Square.

I prefer the card type backing board (Artbak etc) solid rather than fluted and this can be cut on your Ultimat but to reduce the strain on the bearings cut using two passes of the blade. If you really want to use MDF then this can be cut by hand on the bench using a stanley knife and a piece of scrap MDF underneath. I did find it dusty though and this obviously needs to be got out of the frame when you finish it.

Look on ebay for 2nd hand Keencut or Fletcher sheet material cutters or try some of the trade suppliers. Framers Equipment in Northampton often has them and Peter the owner will service and guarentee used equipment he supplies.

One on ebay at the moment:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Keencut-System-40 ... 1e629e33ff

States spares available but I would check this with Keencut. Also looks a bit pricey for an old model.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Tony,
Foamboard is much easier to cut!
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

I mark the MDF on the Keencut (single pass of the blade) when cutting my mounts/undermounts etc in order to keep exact sizing. Finish on workbench using T bar and Stanley knife as others have suggested.
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
prospero

Post by prospero »

A Heavy Duty Rotatrim will make short work of MDF. Even 2.5mm thick. I had one mounted on a sheet of chipboard leaning against the wall. A lot cheaper than an Excalibur or the like. Won't do glass though......

http://www.rotatrim.co.uk/product.php?product_code=7

btw. This machine has a single wheel, so I does cut with one clean edge and one slightly ragged one. So a bit more trimming to do. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
vividP
Organisation: Vividicity
Interests: Oil painting (so framing...), art & photography, guitar, tech things & engineering

Post by vividP »

How about bench end guillotines, anyone use one of those? Occurred to me it would be handy for cutting mdf/mount board etc roughly to size before finishing.
P
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

We have a couple of wall cutters but do use the Ideal 1110a bench type guillotine occasionally - will do the job. If I recall there are two angles of blade available, one is better for cutting mdf, one for paper. We cut both on our single blade without problem anyway. It is useful for e.g trimming 3mm off MDF we have already cut on an excalibur and prints.

It's up to about 44" maximum length. These are still quite expensive new but I got mine second hand for £150 and the blades barely ever need sharpening i.e not for years in light use. I was at Glasscraft in Hull recently and saw one gathering dust in the corner there which may be a lead for someone.

I know a lot of people do use artbak precisely because it is easier to cut than mdf. Might use it ourselves but my concern is that people judge quality by weight, and view card as a cheap frame backer - despite the contrary.
technoframer
Organisation: Yorkshire
Interests: Picture Framing, Eating and Sleeping. Sometimes at the same time.

Post by technoframer »

Somewhat at the other end of the scale, the most efficient and accurate method cutting MDF I have used is an electric Edwards Minishear. This is a hefty piece of kit designed to cut up to 1.6mm steel. However, we managed to alter the cutting depth to accept 3mm Harbdoard. It used to eat up 9x4 sheets in seconds. Also had the advantage that you could cut almost any material from paper to mild steel! Ran it for at least 10 years, never needed sharpening, sold it for more than we paid for it.
sim.on
Organisation: Hertfordshire
Interests: Classic cars

Post by sim.on »

Keep an eye on ebay. I got a Rotatrim T950 complete with the sliding clamp along the front and the chrome handle which clamps over the blade housing for ......4.99 !!! (four pounds and ninety nine pence). No one else bid (it was pick up only [about 25 miles from me]). I think it might have been from a house clearance as there was a large van in their driveway. It also handles 3mm hardboard. Before that I used to use a Stanley knife, ruler and a small G clamp at the far end of the ruler to stop it slipping.