Double and triple mounts....

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Double and triple mounts....

Post by Gus »

Hi,
I have a problem that hopefully someone will be able to put me on the right track....

I can cut single mounts perfectly every time on my ultimat gold. The problem I have is on some double and triple mounts - the blade is not cutting all the way through the board on some of the cuts. (I cut the 2nd and 3rd boards slightly smaller attach them with ATG and PVA and use the 1st board for measuring).

I have tried altering the depth of the blade but it doesn't give consistent results. Sometimes the blade cuts all the way through, sometimes not. Is there something I am not doing? I join the boards with ATG and PVA and just ATG on the centre cut out. I get the ATG as close to the bevel as I can but there is still a gap - as I don't use a slip mat for the double / triple would this cause the problem?

Sometimes it cuts ok and sometimes it doesn't cut all the way through - I am using the same thickness board so that is not the problem - am ruining a lot of board and wondered if anyone can help with possible solutions.

Many thanks....
Roboframer

Re: Double and triple mounts....

Post by Roboframer »

The only difference between cutting a single mount with a slip mat and a double mount without one (the bottom mount becomes the slip mat) is the glue and tape between them, so maybe you're using too much, too close to the cut.

(Edit - correction, there's one other difference, the fall out of the bottom mount which becomes the slip mat, if that's not fitted back in perfectly it could cause problems.)
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

One problem I have found is that on thick boards.... and you will have a thick board if they are all together... is the cutter bar bending which causes the blade to rise around the middle area of the cut.

Pack out the bar at the top end to stop it.... worked for me.
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have also experienced the same effect as Canvas Chris has mentioned on my Keencut Ultimat, but just in case it's not that....Is the cutter bar packed out underneath both the front and rear edges to the same amount. Any slight tilt will affect the degree of blade penetration.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer