Get help and framing advice from the framing community
paultoon
Organisation: Paul Toon Photography and Framing
Interests: Photography
Being in the great outdoors!

Mount cutter bench...

Post by paultoon »

Hi,

I've just bought a Logan 655 Framer's Edge mount cutter for what I think is a good price.

I am looking to make a bench from MDF approximately 6' x 4' (oh, is that a fair size btw.)

I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on what would be the optimum working height for the bench.

I am 6'2" tall btw.

As a thought, I may be buying a Morso F and was thinking of making the bench the same height as the Morso's scale so that I can rest long moulding from the bench to the Morso whilst using the Morso. Does this sound like a sensible idea and if so, does anyone have the Morso F's dimensions as I cannot find via the Internet.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Paul
framemaker

Re: Mount cutter bench...

Post by framemaker »

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum,

My bench is about 37" high, which seems to be a good height, although I am only 5'6". Would be interested to know the height others have their benches.

I (or someone) will check on the Morso scale height, but I think it maybe a little low to have a bench.

When I was making benches I could not find any designs, so I did some myself, here is one for a 6' x 4' bench, which I think is a good size:
Attachments
workbench 6x4.jpg
workbench 6x4.jpg (125.49 KiB) Viewed 4353 times
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Hi Paul,

I would not make the bench the height to suit the Morso. I am 6'3" and the height of the morso was back breaking for me, so I raised the morso. If you buy a morso, you may well get the left arm support and if not, it is easy enough to get adjustable roller stands to support longer mouldings.

I can check on the height of my tables. However, I work them to be able to store mountboard under them, and that makes a good working height for me. I would suggest that if you do have limited space, using the underneath of the benches efficiently is essential. The table size seems good, if you do have the room to make it bigger, it may well help with bigger jobs that come in the future.

Cheeers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I make all my benches 38.5" high and I am 6' 3" tall. Another suggestion is to put the mount cutter on a slight slope with another piece of Mdf at the side also sloping it just makes it a bit easier to stretch over. However make sure that the bed of the mount cutter is well supported along its length so that it doesn't bow at all. I would suggest that it only needs to be raised 4 - 5 " on the back of the mount cutter. I used one for many years like that it worked well. One final suggestion put your benches on large lockable casters so that it can be moved easily for cleaning, you get a lot of dust and debris from a mount cutter.

Hope that is of use

Alistair
prospero

Post by prospero »

Us midgets need lower benches. :P All my benches are 33" high. I couldn't reach the far side of the mountcutter otherwise. I do have a drawing board set horizontal that I do all the mount assembly, washlining, etc on. That is 38.5" high.

Actually, raising the Morso is a good thing as you can fabricate a "budgie cage" tray beneath for easy chipping removal.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

My benches are 950 high, and I am just under 6ft

Morso height is about 830, so would be too low for you. But you should build a box (we used part of an old pallet) for the Morso to stand on so you are working at a comfortable height.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i bought 2 of these

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/part ... KBENCH.htm

didnt put the backs on them, fixed them back to back

then added a bigh sheet of 1 inch mdf over the top, and then a piece of toughend glass over it

this works out a great hieght, and also easy to clean, no dust and can use to cut, trim prints on too
paultoon
Organisation: Paul Toon Photography and Framing
Interests: Photography
Being in the great outdoors!

Post by paultoon »

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Constructed my work bench today and used a height of around 38"/39" which seems about right.

Have to say one thing about getting a 48" mount cutter, a 4' bit of MDF is obviously just that bit short, but not to worry though. Can't wait to get cutting!

Just need my Morso and underpinner and then I'm off!...