Papyrus print

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Phil Darby
Organisation: 67,Victoria Road
Interests: picture framing, photography

Papyrus print

Post by Phil Darby »

Hello everyone,

I have been asked to frame a papyrus print which the customer bought whilst on holiday in Cairo. She has an Egyptian themed bathroom and wants to hang this picture there. She is fully aware of potential damage to the print which could be caused by damp. Any suggestions on how to minimise this potential damage?

Many thanks, Phil
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

Re: Papyrus print

Post by absolute framing »

Hi Phil

What you can do is seal the sandwich (glass-mount-backing board) by taping it up with something like P90 Tape.

Also you can laminate the back of backing board if you have a Roller or Vacume Press - otherwise use MDF of Plywood as backing and put 2 coats of varnish on it.
Stephen Strahan
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

To help prevent condensation on the inside, use acrylic which unlike glass, heats and cools at a similar rate to everything else.

To help prevent moisture entering the frame, seal the glass/mount/undermount (but not the backing board) 'sandwich' with Lineco foil tape, even a bead of silicone sealant around the edge of the glass as well. Back with correx sealed with more foil tape.
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

Here is also a previous discussion on the subject which covers the topic quite well.

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 270#p37270
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

Post by absolute framing »

For your perusement -

We have a nice pre-framed print in our bathtoom for the last 5 Years

Glass - Mount (no undermount) - MDF backing - S/A Backing Tape - no bumpers.

When we got it I thought about going to reframe it using a belt and braces approach, but decided to wait and see out of interess how it got on

Minimum 2 Showers a day with no extractor fan.

Print & Frame are still Perfect no Condensation, Mould etc.

My personal opinion is that if you have something of high value - Dont put it in your bathroom, greenhouse, garden shed etc.
Stephen Strahan
prospero

Post by prospero »

The worse danger in this situation is water streaming down the front of the glass. If it runs into the rebate at the bottom the mount will drink it up like a sponge and it will creep up a few inches inside. So sealing the sandwich with waterproof tape is a must. Siliconing the glass in as well wouldn't go amiss.

btw. Is it actually a print or one of those hand-painted things? In any case with papyrus, it's nice to show the raggy edges. So if you float mounted it on foamcore slightly smaller than the papyrus and then stick this to a mountboard backing, the papyrus would be effectively isolated from any possible damp intrusion. A generous spacing away from the inner glass surface is also advisable. This way, if water does ever penetrate the package, it may ruin the mount, but the water won't creep past the foamcore.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Ausipeet
Organisation: Budget Minded Framing
Interests: Framing, Computing and Photography

Post by Ausipeet »

re this problem, I am about to do the very same thing although mine wont end up in the bathroom. I plan on doing a double glaze mount sandwiching the papyrus between two sheets of Non reflective glass and then mounting in a suitable frame, only way i seem to think of a good way of "sealing" a double glaze would be by using Poly sealer or something similar as long as it is a clear product, i would begin by putting as much weight on the glass as possible and then taping it with a strong tape, then run a bead of sealant around the outside edge on the two joining edges of the glass, thus Sealing the Papyrus. Let this set for the recomended time and then frame in suitable frame. only major problem would be how to fix the completed double glaze job in the frame with out having nasty flexi points showing. Here i would go to the local timber outlet and buy some suitable trim and very carefully nail this to the back of the framein the moulding recess, one could even go as far as to paint the trim to match the frame.
I think this would be called Floating frame type of framing job ill post some pics as i progress.

Just read the last post before mine as to using silicone on the frame i dont think using silicone would solve the problem completly >>>> you really cant use Silicone on the front of the frame it would look shocking that would be about the only way to "waterproof" the frame in my opinion.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Just a thought.... :idea:

What about that tape that they use for sealing double-glazing panels?

And if you set the sandwich in the frame so it was slightly jacked up on some tiny (waterproof) spacers and not resting on the bottom of the frame, it would stop any water that collected in the frame from seeping up.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Ausipeet
Organisation: Budget Minded Framing
Interests: Framing, Computing and Photography

Post by Ausipeet »

here is my finished result of the Papyrus print in double glazing.
001 (Small).jpg
001 (Small).jpg (50.81 KiB) Viewed 5070 times