Firescreens

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Firescreens

Post by Ricky »

I had a customer in today I've framed a few of her tapesties she's asked me to make a
firescreen frame for her lastest work, I havn't got a clue but of course I said "Yes No Problem"
:head: HEELLPP.
I'm sure i read something on here about it. So if anyone has an idea I would be much obliged.
Roboframer

Re: Firescreens

Post by Roboframer »

Just frame it as normal and then add a handle and some feet, lion do them... click and click

Just make sure the frame is sturdy enough to free stand and flat/wide enough to take the feet.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Hi there,

I have several at our barn, I can photo them and email to you with construction details. Might not be till Sunday as I am having a thing called a "day off" tomorrow. Not sure what it means, but I don't think I am aloud to go to the workshop.

Let me know if that is any help?

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

Thanks for the info john did'nt realize Lion did stuff like that,I'll have to scour their Catalogue more often

Hi Nick If you could do that for me it would be great. A day off for me normaly means catching up on all the work I could'nt do around the house & garden :? . Still I have somthing called a Holiday coming up soon, not sure what that is either :lol:
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Here is one I did earlier:
Firescreen.jpg
Firescreen.jpg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 4887 times
Not my choice of mount but that is what the customer insisted on. As someone said earlier use a reasonably substantial moulding and check the price of the fittings before you quote the customer they are more expensive than you would think. Most Framing Wholesalers stock them as well as Lion.
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

Here is one we did a while ago for a customer. This is a double frame, back to back, containing a collage of family photos and memories.

The fittings are the lion fittings but the customer wanted them black to match her fire tongs! This meant we had to paint all the metal work including hinges, screws and clips. The two frames are hinged at the top and have clips underneath to keep them shut. It was quite complicated fitting it together and I don't use this as an example for customers but it was fun putting it together.
Fire stand.jpg
Fire stand.jpg (48.92 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
The thing to remember with fire screens is you need a solid moulding that will support itself standing up, has a rebate deep enough to take the contents and the side of the moulding needs to be flat and deep enough to screw the feet on. Time yourself putting it together to ensure you don't undercharge for the job, on the first one you surely will, but it is practice as well for the future.
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
picturemaker
Organisation: Workhouse Framing Ltd
Interests: woodworking,films,running

Post by picturemaker »

we have several different designs that we offer all made out of oak,the frame,the handle,and the feet look at them here http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5568 they do look abit traditional which suits the needlework and they look great when finished
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't do that many of them, but they come along from time to time.

As they are not hung upon a wall and out of harms way, it's quite likely that firescreens may get the odd accidental kick or bash. With this possibility in mind, I use a thicker and therefore stronger glass and backing board.

Firescreen feet and handles are available from Lion or Scraggs.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer