frame stand ideas please

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
the framing lady
Organisation: The Framing Lady
Interests: gilding, framing, gardening

frame stand ideas please

Post by the framing lady »

Hi there,
I need to find a solution for a standing frame. I tried a Keasu esal, but they collapse. I thought of using a mdf board with hinge stand that you see in the shops, but does anyone know where I could find them? The frame is not a standard size roughly 26cm x 34cm :?
Is there a better quality hardware out there to use as a stand?
Hope somebody has a bit of advice
The Framing Lady
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Re: frame stand ideas please

Post by Steve Goodall »

I think D&J Simons do a range of easels...
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
the framing lady
Organisation: The Framing Lady
Interests: gilding, framing, gardening

Post by the framing lady »

Thank you :-)
prospero

Post by prospero »

A few musings........

It's funny when you think about it, but there really isn't an entirely good system for making strut backs. If you only need to do a few here and there, you aren't going to fork out for a press to attach the hardware and to be honest, this method is a bit naff anyway.

A long time ago I had a spate of making readymades with stands. It was really a use-up-the-bits exercise. I riveted (by hand) two bars onto the (MDF) backs so that they would stand either way. I don't like the diagonal thingies. I made about 300, so that's four holes I had to drill in each back and four bif rivets to place and hammer. Tedious, but not hard work. I made a jig and template for drilling the holes 10 at a time. The tricky bits were the struts themselves. Cutting tapered struts would have been too much trouble. Fortunately, at the time Lion did ready cut tapered struts with a clip (which fitted the bars) already riveted on. They were great. I just picked a size that was that was longer than the frame and trimmed it flush with the edge of the frame. Magic :D The bars were strategically placed so the struts were right whatever orientation.
OK, they didn't look as classy as the velvet covered ones, but they looked presentable enough and they didn't wilt like the cardboard specimens. I did sizes from 5x4 to 12x10 using this method.

But lion don't do those anymore. :cry:

I did get some of their metal ones to try. The ones that are a curly gold piece that slots into a plate. The plate needs a special press to fix them to the backs, but I thought it would work by screwing the plate to the frame. (as long as it's wide enough). I tried one and it seemed OK, but I never got round to testing them out properly. I did observe that it would only work safely on frames <8" high. Although putting two props on might stabilise bigger sizes.

It occurs to me that any manufacturer who comes up with a cost-effective, user-friendly, nice-looking (that's too many -s, but wth?), would be onto a winner. 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
sim.on
Organisation: Hertfordshire
Interests: Classic cars

Post by sim.on »

Don't know if it's the sort of thing you're looking for but type in " curl up stand " in the search box on ebay. With ebay you're not subject to a minimum order value. The plates just slip on the edge of the backing. Good idea to put points close to either side of the plate on larger frames. I think Lionpic sell them.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Check out the links to border frames in this topic http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 43&p=54578
vividP
Organisation: Vividicity
Interests: Oil painting (so framing...), art & photography, guitar, tech things & engineering

Post by vividP »

Probably not what you're after but I picked up an armful of folding acrylic 'display easels' (£1 a pair, different sizes) from the high street tat emporium 'The Works' the other day; ideal for what I needed at the time. It's amazing how far twenty quid goes in that place, not to mention the lb/£ in your shopping bag if you don't just buy acrylic stands. Can't see them on their website btw.

Just a thought.
P