Stock image licences & mounting brackets

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
ffd
Organisation: Interior Modish
Interests: Design, web design, art.

Stock image licences & mounting brackets

Post by ffd »

Hey all.

I've been on here a few times, but first post so hello!! :)

I am in the furniture trade, but starting to look into creating some large pieces of wall hanging art and custom furniture items. I am wanting to use some stock imagery, and have noticed canvas art companies offer 1000's of images to choose from, most of which I can find on istockphoto or similar stock image sites.

All good, apart from I am not completely sure how the licensing works...

How to they get licences to use these images on items for resale without buying a limited run license, per image (which are way too expensive to justify doing so per image used)? Even the cost of some images in print format are more expensive than the actual canvas print itself. Can anyone shed some light into the best way to get/use stock images without forking out £125+ for each image used?

Here are the licence details from istockphoto:
Items for resale, including prints, posters, calendars, mugs, mousepads, t-shirts, games, etc. - Items for resale — limited run license required. Note: there are quantity restrictions dependent on the type of iteme
Secondly, I have been looking for flush mounting brackets and found this type -> http://www.hpponline.co.uk/ImageHandler ... xWidth=250

However, I have seen some similar but longer and more heavy duty. Any ideas where I can get these? I cant find them online at all! :head:

Thank you for any help! and apologies in advance if I have overlooked something and am asking a daft question.
Graysalchemy

Re: Stock image licences & mounting brackets

Post by Graysalchemy »

I think most stock image licences exclude you from using the artwork as a 'piece of art' unless you are a design company buying the image on behalf of your client, which would mean that you are using it as a one off. You would be better buying the copyright from a photographer or paying them a commision on sales. At the end of the day it would be unfair to take a piece of artwork from an artist and sell it for a profit as a piece of art and not pay what the artist is rightly due.
ffd
Organisation: Interior Modish
Interests: Design, web design, art.

Post by ffd »

Thanks for your input.

I wouldn't dream of doing it without the proper licence (hence my post on here), I just cant understand how a company can offer a product for £30 with the choice of ANY image from istockphoto. Surely its not very cost effective if the customer picks an image and it costs the retailer more than they are charging for the canvas.

I see what you mean about the one off, we wouldn't be producing a number of products using the same image, it would just be a one off each time, so I guess we could use a regular licence for each one instead.

I still cant see how canvas art companies do it though, with some images costing more than they charge for the art, even for a regular 300dpi image.

I think I am missing something somewhere haha!

Cheers!
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Some people are not as concious of the legality that you and I are.