Black gloss finish

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Black gloss finish

Post by Gus »

Need a bit of advice please about how to get a good deep gloss black finish. Can I use a bare wood molding, or is it best to use a flat black one? And what is the best way to get the deep gloss finish?
Many thanks, all advice welcome!
Gus.
Graysalchemy

Re: Black gloss finish

Post by Graysalchemy »

I have sprayed pre finished mouldings with gloss sprays from b&q. I would make you frame in a matt black then spray it after you have underpinned. Spraying is an at but as long as you take your time and don't spray it on thickly in one go you can get some reasonable results.
Gus
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Post by Gus »

Thanks, I never thought of using spray paint. I will give it a go.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I't's going to be hard work building a deep gloss on bare wood. You would need lots of coats of gesso and lot's of elbow grease. You really do need an immaculately smooth base before you start spraying. Much easier to find a ready compo'ed moulding the right shape and spray over that. But beware. Some moulding will take spray-on paints. Some will not - never mind how much you sand them down to try and get a 'key'. Test a bit first. :wink:

Cellulose (car) paints will stick nicely to some mouldings as the thinners will etch itself into the surface and create a good bond. I would spray it black first and then keep spraying with clear lacquer (rubbing back between coats) until you get the gloss you want.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Gus

Post by Gus »

Thanks Prospero, what do you rub it back with between the coats?
prospero

Post by prospero »

http://www.abtec4abrasives.com/abrasive ... 1470-p.asp

Don't buy them from DIY sheds. They charge about 3 quid each. :shock:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Gus

Post by Gus »

Excellent thanks. I will give it a go, always bearing in mind I can buy a ready made gloss finish if I can't get it good enough.

I always like to try new ways and am very grateful to the advice from all of the forum contributors. Maybe one day I will have learnt enough to pass some of it on to others!

Thanks again.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I like these high gloss laquer finishes from Arqadia.
397_167_000[1].jpg
397_167_000[1].jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
They are not expensive and the finish is more durable than you might expect.

Similar are available from Simons. Only trouble is the limited range of profiles