Kiasu stands

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Kiasu stands

Post by Trinity »

I've an odd shaped photo to frame and none of the standard size mdf strut backs will do, and I'm not that keen on them anyway. The kiasu picture in the Lion catologue p104 omits any taping to the back.
Would you normally cut neatly around the kiasu and tape as normal, and generally what's the experienced opinion on these type of fixings. Not everyone of course wants wall mounted so I'd like to get a good feel on this. I have the Kiasus by the way.
Thanks
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Roboframer

Re: Kiasu stands

Post by Roboframer »

I think that like the curl up 'n stand system, they're OK for smaller frames. You could use two on a larger frame but the support is still only at the bottom, making the whole thing top-heavy. At least a too-large strutback can be cut down and the support will be more central.

As for sealing the back, if you're using a mount and undermount and seal the glass 'sandwich' with a decent tape like Lineco foil tape, then you won't have to worry about sealing around the fixing.
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Tend to agree, I've used the strut back, trimmed to suit.
Thanks
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Wot Robo said, but I like the look of the taped finish on the back. As you proposed in your opening post, Trinity, I used to trim neatly round the fixing. Looked fine. Tesla tape is great, because you can ease it in around the fixing, giving a neater finish.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
prospero

Post by prospero »

What Moggy said. :P

May I recommend 'B' Black tape from Lion. I've used it a lot on standup frames and it is very long-lasting. Slightly pricy, but gives a very classy look. You can either seal the back completely or fold it into the rebate so you can still remove the back but hide all the nastiness that you find on the backs of some mouldings.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About