Attaching a name plate

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Attaching a name plate

Post by Gus »

Still learning but getting a steady flow of work at the moment :D
I have a job in from a local council to reframe 20 photos of past mayors etc. They want to standardise the photos so they are all in the same moulding (dark brown - approx 75mm wide), apart from the current Mayor who would be in a gold frame. Not chosen specific mouldings yet and would ideally like to have the name plate attached to the frame.

They didn't want the name plate to hang underneath the frame and I was toying with the idea of a brass holder attached to the bottom rail that the plate could slot into, rather than screwing the plate directly to the frame (so the frame can be reused in years to come).

Does anyone have any views/ideas/experience of the best way to do this, or any mouldings to look at/avoid please.... :?

Many thanks
Gus.
stcstc

Re: Attaching a name plate

Post by stcstc »

can you not just do a titlebox mount

ie 2 apretures, small second one with title in it?
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Post by Gus »

Photos are dry mounted onto foam board and laminated. No mount required, otherwise I could have done the title box.
prospero

Post by prospero »

You really need a moulding with quite a generous flat area. You would think there would be hundreds, but there are surprisingly few that can accommodate even a narrow plate. I don't like to see them perched on ridges or spanning hollows. I made a jig once to rout out a flat section in a domed moulding to fit a plate. Looked cool but a lot of extra faffing about.
Nameplates usually come with a peel off sticky back so easy enough to swap them.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About