Motorcycle racing boots

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Motorcycle racing boots

Post by Tim »

This one's likely to fall a little outside of my comfort zone, so looking for advice....

....has anyone here framed a pair of racing motorcycle boots (or any other similar boots for that matter).

If so, any tips and tricks I should be aware of?

Cheers

Tim
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
Graysalchemy

Re: Motorcycle racing boots

Post by Graysalchemy »

I framed some PVC Kinky boots not so long back. I made an MDF box 150mm strips biscuit jounted. I then made a frame and glued and screwed box to frame. Then glazed then lined with 5mm foamcore + mount board sandwich leaving it 10 mm shorter than the total depth so I could put backing boar etc in.

Next cut a suitable backing material face with mountboard. Finally I floated the boots on the back panel using tons of clear silicon. As these were cheap and going into a Thai resturant it was an appropriate way of attaching the boots. I also gave the boots body by filling with corrugated card. Once the glue had cured I put it all together.

Job done. You will probably need to find a more appropriate way of attaching otherwise the conservation police will be after you . I am only a lowly commercial framer :giggle:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

A good kick start to problematic objects.

Make a box frame, give it a couple of straight lefts followed by a right hook and when it's flat on the bench - put the boot in :Slap:
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Do you have a photo?

If they're anything like this ....
sidi_vortice_redvernwhi_main.jpg
then there's plenty of places that a melinex strap could be passed through and then through the mounting board and secured at the back, and if they are as 'busy' as these then melinex straps around the shin and toe would be very hard to spot.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

I have never framed boots like that only football boots a few times, only took a couple of pics of the last ones i did, Gary Hooper celtic striker's boots............pics show how the box is made, dead easy, double mount dead easy, frame is a large unfinished wood turned on its side then some strip wood put in to create a rebate, sanded, painted and waxed...........ended up with a depth of about 85mm,could have done with 100mm but close enough, no pics of frame assembly though
Attachments
hooper 1.JPG
hooper 1.JPG (335.63 KiB) Viewed 9365 times
hooper 3.JPG
hooper 3.JPG (367.93 KiB) Viewed 9365 times
hooper 6.JPG
hooper 6.JPG (417.16 KiB) Viewed 9365 times
hooper 5.JPG
hooper 5.JPG (357.41 KiB) Viewed 9365 times
Keadyart
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Art,Photography,Horse racing,my Irish terrier Tara

Post by Keadyart »

Nice looking job easypops,
how are your boots kept in place?

All the best
Brian
Tim
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

If the attachment works, these are the boots in question....so yeah, I think Melinex straps will probably do the trick.

Tim
Attachments
Boots.jpg
Boots.jpg (76.43 KiB) Viewed 9310 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Graysalchemy wrote: I floated the boots on the back panel using tons of clear silicon. ........................You will probably need to find a more appropriate way of attaching otherwise the conservation police will be after you .
So could the businesss police! (and how would you define 'conservation police' anyway)? Sometimes a reversible method costs less, both in materials and time, than a non (or not so) reversible one - this being a case.
Keadyart wrote:Nice looking job easypops,
how are your boots kept in place?
Well?
easypopsgcf

Post by easypopsgcf »

Well?
Very sorry for not spotting the question !

The answer is 2 staples, through the inside of the boot, through the backing mount and folded over..........which no doubt wont please some, BUT i know when you get a job like this , NO ONE is ever going to take them out and put them on to run around in. So sorry reversible method, melinex lovers, this is a job with no visible fixings, which i know looks good 8)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Roboframer wrote:
So could the businesss police! (and how would you define 'conservation police' anyway)? Sometimes a reversible method costs less, both in materials and time, than a non (or not so) reversible one - this being a case.
Clear silicon is one of the easiest things to remove from a non porous material, ever tried tacking it of bathroom tiles?

In this case I knew I would be in the wrong and with hindsight I should have not joined in the thread. However what id did was to explain how I did something of low value which would only need to be framed for a couple of years before being chucked in a skip, (sorry I should have explained that). Most of these jobs I do have to be glued on because they have to survive the rigors of DHL before they are attached to the wall. And with regards to cost it probably cost me less than 50p in silicon, even to a low life commercial framer like me not that much really.

Conservation Police in my mind are defined as sanctimonious ****'s who pontificate about how and how not something should be done without actually thinking before they type, and assessing what actual level of framing is required for a given article and budget and time frame.

Not everything that framers do goes in Mrs Jones front parlor, there is more to framing than bespoke framing and perhaps you should respect that sometimes.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Graysalchemy wrote:Conservation Police in my mind are defined as sanctimonious ****'s who pontificate about how and how not something should be done without actually thinking before they type,
OK - and how would you define someone that pontificates about how things COULD be done and does think before they type?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Roboframer wrote:OK - and how would you define someone that pontificates about how things COULD be done and does think before they type?
But that is not what you do is it.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well, whatever, what I do is discuss mehods and materials without forming opinion on the people using them.

So if you want to do that, why not start another topic.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Roboframer wrote:Well, whatever, what I do is discuss mehods and materials without forming opinion on the people using them.

So if you want to do that, why not start another topic.
Funny that because that is not how it feels like when you are on the receiving end.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well Tim, I hope this topic has been useful - there's 3 methods here - stick 'em, staple 'em or fasten 'em.

Fill yer boots!
easypopsgcf

Post by easypopsgcf »

I will continue to show examples of how things are done in the real world,and tell you how its done, if anyone doesn't like it thats tough :lol: ............i have now posted pics of medals, football tops, and now boots.............i have yet to see any better examples. 8)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Talked to the customer again, and strapping them is the way to go. Now I'm just concerned about how to orientate them inside the frame....

....one idea is to get hold of a decent image of the actual bike, use that as a backdrop , and place the boot as it would be when being ridden. Has the added advantage of then requiring TWO frames :D

Don't know what I'll do if he wants both boots inside the one frame...I can't think of a way to make them look 'interesting'