Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ian Goodman
Organisation: Ian Goodman Photography
Interests: Chinese Cooking.
Playing with my Grandchildren
Photoshop Training with Maitland U3A

Hot Press Question

Post by Ian Goodman »

I have two laminated posters to put onto 5mm Foamcore one is inside the normal Sticky foamcore size and the other is outside the 40x60 foamcore board.
What I would like to do is to dry mount these two posters onto normal foamcore but I am not sure the temperature to use, bcause you will need to srrike a compomise on the laminate and dry mout tissue too hot and you will damage the laminate too cold and the dry mout tissue will not activate.
I just find it too hard to roll large laminated posters onto sticky foam core and peder to dry mount these.

The next problem is that the width of one of these is 200mm ouside the 40" wide foamcore so it looks like a join coming up so how would you conceal the join?

Can someone help with these problems?

Thank you
Graysalchemy

Re: Hot Press Question

Post by Graysalchemy »

I think you are always going to have the problem of a joint. Why not press on to Mdf? With tregards to temp you can press at lower temps ie 75-80 but for longer 5-6 mins. Finally I would use drymount film not tissue I think you would have problems sticking tissue to a laminated poster ( I assume it is laminated on both sides).

Hope that helps
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

WOW Grays - brilliant answer as always - would you fancy a job at Spring Fair 2012??? - I need extra technical people & your answer is spot on - as always...

...The only points to add are - if it has been encapsulated then temps up to 100 degrees c are no problem as these films & adhesives are good up to around 180 degrees c before they turn nasty & a "top tip" - sand paper the back of the laminate to create a keay surface & you will get a much stronger bond - job done!!!

BTW I am working on the Megawood - Larson Juhl stand at the Sydney Framing Show next weekend - it would be nice to say "hello" if you are coming along :D

Pity Big Jim from Gesoo has pulled out at the last minute - he owes me a cheap dinner :giggle: like the one I bought him in Milan :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Steve Goodall wrote:WOW Grays - brilliant answer as always - would you fancy a job at Spring Fair 2012???
There's a job promise if I have ever heard one............................... Is there going to be a spring fair 2012? :giggle:
You see us lowly commercial framers do have our uses after all.
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

Thanks for the suggestion of mounting to MDF for a long piece. I have a laminated family tree 1.55 m long to frame. I assume I will be ok laminating this straight onto a piece of MDF as the laminated back will protect the print.

cheers, Tim
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

yes it will be

even if the print wasnt laminated on the back, the fact that your putting mount film between it and the mdf will do the same
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

It would be, but obviously mdf is not the most conservation friendly material and also dry mounting is not recommended for anything of of sentimental or financial value.

Is the family tree printed or has someone done old school with a pen and ink? if it was the latter then it is not replaceable and probably shouldn't be dry mounted.

Conservation Police, Arrest this man........
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

Thanks chaps. It's not of great financial or sentimental value, just long, and is laminated both sides. MDF it is!
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.