Looking for a moulding ID

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Looking for a moulding ID

Post by Tim »

Hi

Can anyone ID this moulding for me please? I've been asked to duplicate an existing frame, but have no idea how long ago the existing one was made. Sorry about the quality of the camera photo - I couldn't be arsed to go back to the car to get the proper camera. It's about 45-50mm, black (or nearer to gunmetal colour) woodgrain effect with a silver outline and sight edge.

Thanks

Tim
Attachments
Moulding.jpg
Moulding.jpg (115.11 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
Tim
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Re: Looking for a moulding ID

Post by Tim »

Anyone? Even an idea of which catalogue would be a help, I've been reduced to trying various search terms in Google, but to no avail :(
neiljustframes

Post by neiljustframes »

Hi Tim

Looks like a Minerva moulding from Lion , also available from Glasscraft in Hull.

Regards

NEil
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Difficult to tell from your picture and you do not describe the profile. This is the Lion Minerva moulding Neil is referring to:
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (44.41 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
Comes in a choice of widths, M143/144/145
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks all - that's the one. I hadn't seen it whilst going through the catalogues because I try and avoid minerva like the plague...... :oops:

Oh well - time to superglue my fingers together again.......

Cheers

Tim
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I would rather use a decent quality plastic moulding than a poor quality wood moulding and this one joins nicely.

We use the narrowest of this moulding in its four finishes for a range of budget prints which are on the walls. If the customer wants an upgrade that's fine they just pay a bit more.

For joining we use Lion Plastibond which takes longer to go off but if it gets on the face of the moulding it wipes off without damaging the finish.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the tip - the glue is, of course, out of stock at Lion! :( One last question - which 'v' nails do you use for Minerva - I'd assume those appropriately sized for softwood, but I might be wrong....
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Try Tawnycraft in Northampton for Plastibond. They keep a lot of the stuff from the Lion catalogue.

I use ordinary wedges (Cassese) not the hard wood and place the wedges more towards the rebate and use as large as possible (experiment on scrap pieces first). Instructions are in the Lion catalogue. I mostly use the flat or gently sloping profiles which join OK.

All Minerva mouldings now come individually wrapped and some of the glossy ones have a further film on the face to protect them.

My wife teaches art on our premises and I make up some standard size frames for her students in Minerva and they go as quickly as I make them along with ready cut mounts.