Looking for this Moulding?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Looking for this Moulding?

Post by birdman »

Does anyone know what the code for this moulding is and who supplies it? Any help gratefully received as always.
Mldg sample.jpg
Mldg sample.jpg (243.17 KiB) Viewed 5262 times
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
framemaker

Re: Looking for this Moulding?

Post by framemaker »

Hi Rolf,

I reckon it's the larger version of another current moulding search thread. Page 109 in Simons catalogue, S/446/09 or SO/0095. I am sure Arqadia and other suppliers do their own versions. The Simons version is 39mm wide

BTW excellent use of a ruler to show us how wide it is :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

It looks a lot like a silver/gold version of the one in this thread: http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6851. That streaky patination is the same as a lot of Arqadia profiles. Can't spot a two-tone one though. Might be a discontinued one. I'll have a peek in my old catalogues......
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Quality Wood Mouldings 9570-23
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
birdman

Post by birdman »

framemaker wrote:BTW excellent use of a ruler to show us how wide it is :D
All that time watching CSI isn't wasted then? Thanks Richard. I couldn't see them in the catalogue earlier but I'll have another look. Original thought was it was Arqadia but haven't spotted it in their new catalogue.

Prospero thank you as well.

We don't currently use Quality Wood mouldings John but I think I have a catalogue somewhere, many thanks.

Customer came in some weeks ago and ordered a frame, which she collected and took home. Bought it back yesterday with the one in the photo and said "it doesn't match!" Of course we had never seen the other frame to start with and she was happy with the one she picked until she got it home? Customers, who'd have them? :head:
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
prospero

Post by prospero »

Glad that mystery is solved 'cos I found lots of variations but never the right one. :oops:

I'm sure customers think there are only about 20 different mouldings and all have been available since the dawn of time. I lady brought a fame in recently wanting one to match. She said there was the supplier's name on the back if that was any help. It wasn't a great help as it was dated 1908.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

For my to peneth worth I would say it was Arqadia 727358000

Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Arqadia 727 358 000 is 80mm wide and Rolf's ruler shows 40mm.

Have a look at p109 Simons 2011 catalogue 2nd down LH column Cat No 000S/0446/09 & 00SO/0095

I can never understand why Simons have two catalogue numbers for the same mouldings. :? I would probably deal with them more if I could fathom out their range and they priced by the metre not by the 100ft.

One thing to be careful of when comparing Arqadia & Simons is they have some very similar ranges but with subtle differences. What appears the same in the brochures are not always the same in the flesh. To give an example I took in a job for Arq. 470 246 000 and as I did not have any further orders for Arq. at the time I used Simons GAL/0007 & 00SO/0035 (two numbers again).
The Simons moulding is far more distressed so I have got to order the moulding again but from Arq. One wholesaler actually lists these as the same!

By the way if you ever happen to be in Peckham Registry Office, (London SE5) it's the moulding they use on all the pictures there.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Didn't see the revised photo.

The closest arqadia is 42034800 but the foil is slightly different. I agree though that Simons No 000S/0446/09 & 00SO/0095 is probably the one.

I never bother picking up the simons catalogue because it is never in any order. If you are looking for a silver there are about 10 random places to look, and after years of everyone complaining about no index, they put on in only to take it out again this year.

I agree if the catalogue was better and they priced in metres instead of having to divide by 3.281 all the time they would probably get more business from me.
birdman

Post by birdman »

Yes Alistair the photo of the Arqadia 42034800 looks very similar, thanks for looking. I have now requested a sample from three suppliers and we'll see which one is the closest. Thanks for all your help guys, it's times like these that make me very thankful for the FF.

J2M thanks for your help, the two codes on Simons are I believe something to do with their new website/online ordering system which is going live in 2004!! :lol: ha ha ha only joking - I think?

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
My status