Painting on canvas with narrow borders

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
shepherdn
Organisation: Winterslow
Interests: Framing, Cooking

Painting on canvas with narrow borders

Post by shepherdn »

I was so pleased with myself, I just completed my first canvas stretcher bar frame approx 150cm x 30cm inc two bracer bars :clap: however, went to put the painting on it and noticed that the borders are all uneven widths, 3 cm in some places, 2 cm in others. It means that in places there is very little of the canvas to staple and I am worried it will rip. The canvas stretcher bars I am using are 2cm deep. Can anyone recommend another way of doing it or some shallower stretcher bars. I have some perfect pine strips which are ideal but they have the sharp edges and I am worried that these will damage the picture - Any advice anyone?
Roboframer

Re: Painting on canvas with narrow borders

Post by Roboframer »

The question going begging is how could you make the strecher frame before noticing the problem?

Anyway - if these pine strips that you have are ideal bar the sharp edges - sand them.

BTW - how did you get on with the tea towel?
prospero

Post by prospero »

2cm is plenty. The hard bit is getting a grip on it to pull it taught. If the canvas is in good nick then it shouldn't rip. Remember, the idea is to get an even tension all round with no waves or puckers. No need to get the thing 'drum tight'. As long as it doesn't flap about.

If, as in this case you can't wrap the canvas around the back of the bars, put the side staples closer together - maybe 1" apart. Once it's on, give it a day to settle down and then gently tap the keys in a tad. Not a lot. :wink:

You did use keyed bars didn't you? :)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
shepherdn
Organisation: Winterslow
Interests: Framing, Cooking

Post by shepherdn »

Thanks to you both. I did notice the problem but it didn't become absolutely apparent until I had the canvas on the frame :head: I think I am going to use the pine strips and sand them like you suggested RoboFramer. The tea towel is perfect thanks - I sewed the calico tabs on which someone suggested, possibly you, and then laced it at the back with fishing wire - it worked a treat!! Just got to frame it now. Thanks so much again you are always so helpful.