Gilders Paste

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
countrystudio
Organisation: Bristol
Interests: framing

Gilders Paste

Post by countrystudio »

What is the best way to protect a frame which has been finished with gilders paste?
Thank you
framemaker

Re: Gilders Paste

Post by framemaker »

I have not used this before to make a gilt finish, so can't suggest a specific sealer.
I would try a test piece with an acrylic wax sealer (Robersons or Polyvine) which are brushed on. Another idea is a spray varnish, lacquer, or sealer.
prospero

Re: Gilders Paste

Post by prospero »

Bit hazy as to what you mean by gilders paste. I'm assuming its some sort of gold stuff in a tube that you rub on and buff up. These are mostly gold powder and wax. You can't really built up any solid coating with this. Well you can.... but it marks easily and you can scrape it off with a fingernail. Varnish will protect, but a water-based one (as most are) won't really bond to the wax. It will tend to just sit on top a flake off later. Solvent based ones will weld themselves into the wax, but may disturb the finish during application.

It's easier to buy gold powder and mix it with varnish and use that as a gilding medium. No need for a sealing coat then. :D

I use this.

It dries fast. Very tough and is removeable with white spirit. Cheap too. I dilute it about 50/50 with white spirit :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About