silk hankechief

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
nickhood
Organisation: Hook Framing
Interests: Gardening.local history

silk hankechief

Post by nickhood »

I had a lady in yesterday with a silk handkechief she wants framed, it has written message on it and is approx 150mm square with a white double border and is very thin. she doesn't want me to sow or tag it to the mount board. I have suggested mounting with a double mount replicating the white border which she is considering. however i am still at a loss as to how to secure it to the mount board. I will probably stretch it over a board like other needlework jobs but wondered if any one can suggest a method a floating it on a board without sowing or tagging it? self adgesive board perhaps? not exactly conservation framing!
Nick
prospero

Re: silk hankechief

Post by prospero »

Another invisible pixie job. :?

You could try mounting a square of dri-mount film onto a board. a tad smaller than the hankie. Leave the release paper on the top. When stuck, peel off the release paper and arrange the hankie so that no film is visible and smooth down. Back in the press for a very quick squeeze. This should hold it just enough, but not make a permanent bond.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

An overlay on to a velvet/suedette covered board would work fine - the overlay could be Melinex or a fine-mesh fabric like tulle.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

If the edges are not important then use the Newberry method.

Alternatively you may need to persuade your customer to accept some very fine stitches which won't be seen unless they look very closely.

I would stick to my ground and only do a conservation job.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

With the Newberry or 'tight fit' method you need a reasonable amount of concealed fabric in order to actually pull it tight and with only 150mm overall, you don't have it, unless you want to get in to sewing extensions on.

But that would not fit the brief - it would not be float mounted.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

What popped into my mind was the newberry method ( :D didn't know it had a name) if this is trapping the edges in foamboard, realising it didn't fit the bill, as robo put it I didn't post it, fine silk is incredibly delicate, personally I would consider stitching of any kind out of the question, the over lay suggestion seems best to me.
nickhood
Organisation: Hook Framing
Interests: Gardening.local history

Post by nickhood »

Thanks everyone, i think i will get customer back and discuss the various options suggested here