New to framing

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
trispeed
Organisation: N/A
Interests: New to framing!

New to framing

Post by trispeed »

Hello! I'm new to your lovely forum and new to framing.

I am looking at purchasing a current framing business and gallery. I am comfortable with the business and gallery sales side of things, but being new to framing am obviously missing a vital ingredient - framing experience. If I were to purchase it I would establish a significant handover period as part of the acquisition, using the experience and knowledge of the current (retiring) owner to get trained up and familiar with the trade (he has already offered this, but would formalise the arrangement). It is a one person operation with a manageable workload for the owner (at present) and I would need to continue with that structure at least at the outset.

I guess I am looking for any nuggets of useful information or specific advice that anyone could offer to a person in my position. It is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but how long a handover period of 'on the job' training does anyone think would be suitable? There is no replacement for experience, but for the business to work I would need to hit the ground running as much as possible. I will obviously be taking my own professional development very seriously but need to be in the position to operate the business after handover.

Thanks for reading!