Re-using old frames and prints

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
Animal
Organisation: Self-Employed
Interests: Animals, Picture Frames, Mirrors, Art, Art-Glass, Wildlife, Antiques,

Re-using old frames and prints

Post by Animal »

Hi, I am new. Not a framer, but hoping to upcycle old frames and prints/paintings.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: Re-using old frames and prints

Post by JohnMcafee »

Welcome aboard, Animal.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
prospero

Post by prospero »

Welcome Animal.

What sort of frames/prints were you thinking of? There are some nice old prints that look well after a bit of TLC, but there are a lot that frankly you couldn't give away. Same with frames.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Animal
Organisation: Self-Employed
Interests: Animals, Picture Frames, Mirrors, Art, Art-Glass, Wildlife, Antiques,

Post by Animal »

Hi,
Basically, if I see a frame and I like it, and it is peanuts (a pound or three), then I buy it. I have quite a few old gold ornate ones, and some very old dark wood ones. I may put some new prints in some of the old frames, but I also have for example a couple of oil paintings which I think are nice, and they were literally falling out of old frames - again I only paid a couple of quid for these.

So I am re-using what would be chucked out, but only if I really love the frame and picture.

I did do a college type framing course many moons again...I am hoping to start again and do another.